Beer competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
So I've decided that I'm gonna enter a competition this year. It wont be until October, which is good as it means that I have enough time to plan things out like I'd like to.

I got ahold of the guy running the show, and he informed me that the whole thing has yet to be set up as far as categories/entry fees and such go, but that it is/will be AHA recognized.

I'm mostly looking for feedback from someone who knows what the hell they're talking about. While winning even an honorable mention would be awesome, its not expected.

I was just hoping that some of you guys would have some "dos and donts" for me.

For example, I'm torn between brewing a Belgian Honey brew which is a little more complex, with corriander and orange in it...or keeping it simple with a proper, say, Nut Brown Ale...

Any advice would be appreciated!

I guess the first thing to recognize is that BJCP/AHA competitions are not about the 'best tasting' beer. Taste is a very personal thing and is impossible to judge objectively.

Most beer competitions are BJCP sanctioned and are meant to be objectively judged. To do this, the judges must understand the brewer's intent (i.e. what it was that they were trying to brew). To this end, the BJCP has designed their Style Guidelines, which are meant to represent every major beer style in the world. It is assumed that when you enter a competition, you are brewing to target one of these styles, and everyone is judged against them.

A common misconception is that you can take any homebrew you like, and place it in the appropriate category, and if it tastes good, it should get a high score. No -- the process is structured to evaluate how well a brewer achieved the parameters (e.g., flavour, mouthfeel, carbonation level, etc.) of a particular style. It is not meant to limit creativity, but rather, provide an objective basis by which brewers can make beer to certain targets and demonstrate their brewing ability.

The bottom line is that if you want to enter a competition and do well, you should either (1) brew to the established target parameters in the BJCP Style Guidelines, or (2) recognize that if your creatively-produced homebrew does not actually meet certain parameters of the style it was entered under, it will be scored down because the judges assumed you were trying to hit the style, but missed.

Having said all of this, if you want to enter a few brews and not worry about the scores, you will get some excellent feedback from any credible BJCP sanctioned competition.

Best of luck! :mug:

I guess the first thing to recognize is that BJCP/AHA competitions are not about the 'best tasting' beer. Taste is a very personal thing and is impossible to judge objectively.

Most beer competitions are BJCP sanctioned and are meant to be objectively judged. To do this, the judges must understand the brewer's intent (i.e. what it was that they were trying to brew). To this end, the BJCP has designed their Style Guidelines, which are meant to represent every major beer style in the world. It is assumed that when you enter a competition, you are brewing to target one of these styles, and everyone is judged against them.

A common misconception is that you can take any homebrew you like, and place it in the appropriate category, and if it tastes good, it should get a high score. No -- the process is structured to evaluate how well a brewer achieved the parameters (e.g., flavour, mouthfeel, carbonation level, etc.) of a particular style. It is not meant to limit creativity, but rather, provide an objective basis by which brewers can make beer to certain targets and demonstrate their brewing ability.

The bottom line is that if you want to enter a competition and do well, you should either (1) brew to the established target parameters in the BJCP Style Guidelines, or (2) recognize that if your creatively-produced homebrew does not actually meet certain parameters of the style it was entered under, it will be scored down because the judges assumed you were trying to hit the style, but missed.

Having said all of this, if you want to enter a few brews and not worry about the scores, you will get some excellent feedback from any credible BJCP sanctioned competition.

Best of luck! :mug:

Yes, yes - what FlyGuy said ^^^^^^ :mug:

I disagree with the excellent feedback. I've had good feedback in some, but more often than not, I have been disappointed with the feedback I've gotten from BJCP competitions.

The last several competitions I've entered have been of the latter sort, and I've basically been soured on the whole concept. I like the idea of getting good, unbiased, constructive feedback, but my experience has been severely underwhelming for the most part.

I disagree with the excellent feedback. I've had good feedback in some, but more often than not, I have been disappointed with the feedback I've gotten from BJCP competitions.

The last several competitions I've entered have been of the latter sort, and I've basically been soured on the whole concept. I like the idea of getting good, unbiased, constructive feedback, but my experience has been severely underwhelming for the most part.
That's really too bad. It sounds like you have not found good competitions to enter. It really is like shopping around for a good LHBS -- some are good, some aren't. Reputation is about the best tool to select one.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Revvy, I especially appreciate the links. Dont take me the wrong way though, I purposefully didnt do a search on HBT because my train of thought dictated that maybe those new to competitions would weight in as well, as opposed to those who had posted in what may have been a 2 year old thread.

Open question: So basically, self-judge your beer before you send it out (which means bottle AT LEAST 3 12 oz Amber bottles) and then decide where it belongs at that point in time, correct? If thats the case, then I guess I need to start bottling 3 of my scarce 12 oz. bottles with every batch...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Enter an unpopular category. Less competition.

I'm gonna brew what I like, flock the competition. I'm not in it for bragging rights (yet)...I'm just looking to be critiqued by someone who isnt family or a friend and thus has no reason to hold their tongue.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Revvy, I especially appreciate the links. Dont take me the wrong way though, I purposefully didnt do a search on HBT because my train of thought dictated that maybe those new to competitions would weight in as well, as opposed to those who had posted in what may have been a 2 year old thread.

Open question: So basically, self-judge your beer before you send it out (which means bottle AT LEAST 3 12 oz Amber bottles) and then decide where it belongs at that point in time, correct? If thats the case, then I guess I need to start bottling 3 of my scarce 12 oz. bottles with every batch...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yes, no matter what size or type of bottle I am bottling a batch in I alsways set aside at least 1 sixer in plain 12 ounce bottles for comps, then when I'm near the dates of my contests I evaluate them and decide which I want to enter, and what category.

Ill reiterate what Flyguy said as I am currently in a study group meeting every week until I take the exam in early February. For better or for worse, you are being judged against the style guidelines. Make sure you pay close attention to them. If you make an English IPA with cascades, you will get dinged for using American hops. Be sure to keep within the style. Even if you enter the specialty beer, or fruit beer category, you must provide the base style. Also, a simple fact, but important - bottle in plain brown bottles and use plain gold crown caps. Bottles must be free of any distinguishing features.

Most people brew within the style guides anyways. If you really want to excel at a competition, you must play to the guides.

Take a look at the scoresheet. This is the sheet that every judge will fill out for you. All of the categories are not just describing YOUR beer, they are describing how your beer matches the BCJP guidelines. Lets go back to our citrusy English IPA. You will get bad scores in the flavor and aroma category for uncharacteristic American hop presence. It can be the greatest beer in the world, but if entered into the wrong category, it will not do well. The only place on the scoresheet for a judges more personal opinion of your beer is "overall impression". Here, judges should say what they like/don't like and offer suggestions for improvement.

hope this helps

Well said, Ed.

Here is the issue with brewing a carefree recipe and then deciding what style to place it in afterwards. Let me start with an example.

I love pale ales, and I drink lots of the British and American versions. When I brew to my personal taste, I prefer my pale ale to have a prominent bitterness, but with an up-front malty flavour, much like the British ales. To that end, I like British pale ale malts, plus a touch of biscuit malt and darker crystals for flavour. I also typically use a British yeast (I love the complexity the fruity esters add, too!), and don't let it dry out too much. To balance, I put in a generous amount of American bittering hops (particularly the big citrusy hops, like Centennial or Cascade). I also like to dry hop with American hops to really emphasize that wonderful citrusy, piney aroma. Sometimes I will chuck in some Fuggles or EKG just to add a bit of floral or earthy complexity. To finish the beer, I want to make sure that the soft malty notes don't get overwhelmed by the hops and hop bitterness, so I typically carbonate on the low side and don't let it get too cold when I serve it (much like a British ale).

I call it a Canadian pale ale, because much like the influences on modern Canadian society, my beer has strong roots in British tradition but also a dominant American influence to liven it up!

The problem of course is that this beer does not easily place into any BJCP beer style. The distinctive aromatic hops immediately identify this as an American beer on the first sniff. But the malty profile and low carbonation don't fit that category well -- American ales should be dry and lively. My recipe is, for the most part, a modified British ale. It just has an identity crisis. I suppose I could always enter it in Category 23, Specialty Beer, but the comments I have received from other judges is that, "oh its pretty similar to an English pale and should go there", or "oh, it is pretty similar to an American pale ale and should go there", or "this beer just isn't distinctive enough" (i.e. isn't 'special' enough) to go in Category 23 Specialty Beer and do well.

I have received valuable feedback for beers like this, but the scoresheets can be a little underwhelming. I guess if you are going to brew a good beer that doesn't fit well within a particular style, you should expect that most judges are just going to focus on the obvious deviations from style (like that hop aroma isn't expected in a British ale, or the carbonation is to low for an American ale), and that will keep it from scoring high. That doesn't mean they think it is a good and drinkable beer, but they aren't there to evaluate those subjective components, either.

This is a very misunderstood aspect of BJCP competitions IMO, and it is probably most often responsible for brewers complaining that their favourite beer (that all their friends just LOVED!) only scored a 25 with those 'idiot' judges.

Bottom line: I suggest one considers whether: (1) they want to enter a comp for the general feedback, in which case, don't worry too much about the final score or the stylistic things you get dinged on; or (2) deliberately brew your beer with the end goal of targetting a particular style's characteristics explicitly (i.e. for the intended purpose of BJCP competitions). Your reaction to the evaluations should be very different in each case. I have done a bit of both of the above, and I have been lucky enough to not had complaints about the judges' comments (once I put my evaluations into the appropriate perspective).

:mug:

In addition to the great advice, I recommend reading up on the style you are brewing for (and to repeat, for BJCP comps, you have to brew to style, not find a style to fit your beer...) and try to come up with a recipe that nails it, with your process and equipment.

Age matters in most beer, so work on the recipe ahead of time and try to plan on getting the beer to the comp when it's at it's flavor peak.

Take the feedback with a grain of salt. I too have had crappy feedback from some judges.

I encourage you to enter more than one competition. If possible enter the same beer in several. This will give you more rounded feedback. I think most people do best by brewing something they are used to. Unlike myself, who brews whatever sounds good at the time, and doesn't brew often enough to nail a particular recipe/style.

I'm gonna brew what I like, flock the competition. I'm not in it for bragging rights (yet)...I'm just looking to be critiqued by someone who isnt family or a friend and thus has no reason to hold their tongue.

In that case..........send me some brew so I can tell you how great it is.
My addy is .........JK :cross:

Back