In the middle of a boil test.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My tap water is 52 degrees on the cold side and 150 degrees on the hot side. I put 6 gallons of 52 degree water in my pot to see if I can do. A full boil on the stove top. At 60 mins I was at 52 degrees. At 50 mins I was at 64 degrees at 40 mins I was at 82 degrees. At 30 right now and the temp is 100 degrees.

115 degrees at 20 minutes(started a timer at 60 mins) may have to abort however. Pot has a rim all around the b ottom that surrounds the burner completely it sets over the burner trapping all of the heat in. I think I am warping the stove top!!!

Seems to have stalled out. 125 at 10 minutes left. Gonna try stirring it a little

Nah its an old coil burner stove. I was dumb to start with cold water. No idea why I did that. Anyway gently stirring got me ALMOST to 150 in an hour. BIG waste of time if I wasn,t sampling prior brews lol.

Don't use hot water because hot water heaters often have mineral buildups in them that can cause off flavors later.

Hey Steve, I performed a similar experiment a couple of weeks ago. I started with 6.5 gallons of 64 degree water and achieved a boil in 1 hr 40min. My stove is equipped with a 12,500 btu "Power Burner". From what have read the norm for burner is 9,500 to 10,000 btu's.

One suggestion that I have not tried yet is wrapping the bottom of the pot with 6-8 layers of aluminum foil. It's applied it in such a way that it went down past the bottom of the pot but allowed enough of a gap between the pot and the stove top to allow air to get in and keep from starving the flame. Someone else posted that this decreased their time to achieve a full boil. I'm not sure how this would work on an electric range but it may be worth a shot. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Don't use hot water because hot water heaters often have mineral buildups in them that can cause off flavors later.

Mine would be bad. My water is so hard I wear a helmet in the shower to avoid concussions.

damn thats painful!

yep...I gave up...emptied the pot and looked at the burner marks on the bottom. The bottom is bowl shaped a LITTLE bit. I did not think it was enough to interfere with burner contact but it is...only the very center of the pan is contacting the burner...It will work fine on a turkey burner, but back to the drawing board for a stove top full boil pot. Makes me angry too, I just payed to have a ball valve welded into it and my keggle.

Have you thought about splitting your wort into two kettles? I do this to do full boil all grain on the stove. I do 5 gallon batches, starting with 7 gallons of wort split between a 6 gallon pot and a smaller vessel. I do 5 gallons in the big pot, and 2 in the other. I only hop the larger kettle. When there is space in the larger kettle, I'll add back as much of the small kettle's wort that I can.

It's a little ghetto but its working.

Hey Steve, I performed a similar experiment a couple of weeks ago. I started with 6.5 gallons of 64 degree water and achieved a boil in 1 hr 40min. My stove is equipped with a 12,500 btu "Power Burner". From what have read the norm for burner is 9,500 to 10,000 btu's.

One suggestion that I have not tried yet is wrapping the bottom of the pot with 6-8 layers of aluminum foil. It's applied it in such a way that it went down past the bottom of the pot but allowed enough of a gap between the pot and the stove top to allow air to get in and keep from starving the flame. Someone else posted that this decreased their time to achieve a full boil. I'm not sure how this would work on an electric range but it may be worth a shot. Good luck hope it works out for you.
I would think if he was getting any flame, he'd want to starve it of air asap on his electric stove top :p

Back