this okay for bottle cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are tons of threads on bottle cleaning, and I read through many of them. I just wanted to ask a specific question and verify a no-bottle-brush technique to see if you all think it's fine. I'm using new bottles, but by now they're a bit dusty, cobwebs, etc.

I figure what I'll do is soak 1 case in my bottling bucket in a PBW solution overnight (eventually will go to Oxyclean to cut cost). The next morning, I'll dump the bottles, but won't really rinse them that thoroughly. I'll put the next case in the solution, and remove those in the evening. Then, I'll put both cases in my dishwasher, rinse (no detergent), and heat dry.

Sanitize them on bottling day and fill.

Provided I rinse after drinking and don't let sediment dry, do you think this will be okay in the long run?

Thanks,
AK

Sounds good....

I don't know if you've seen my bottling thread, I've had people contribute their own tips and trick to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

One of the best tips (which my or not be mentioned in there) is to get the jet bottle/carboy rinser.

jet_washer.jpg

Just make sure you get the threaded adapter that allows you to attach it to you kitchen sink (in the kitchen you remove the aerator cover to expose the threads)

jet_washer_adaptor.jpg

That makes rinsing the oxyclean/pbw out of the bottles a breeze, as well as the the yeast and goop in the inside of the bottle a breeze....

Hope this helps!

Doesn't sound too good to me.
PBW and OxiClean are great for cleaning really dirty bottles, but both need a really good rinsing after use. The dishwasher will not rinse them well as very little water will make it in to the bottles.
If they are just dusty and cobwebby, a good rinse should be all that is necessary.
I can recommend the jet bottle washer as an excellent method of rinsing bottles.

-a.

Doesn't sound too good to me.
PBW and OxiClean are great for cleaning really dirty bottles, but both need a really good rinsing after use. The dishwasher will not rinse them well as very little water will make it in to the bottles.
If they are just dusty and cobwebby, a good rinse should be all that is necessary.
I can recommend the jet bottle washer as an excellent method of rinsing bottles.

-a.

Yeah AJF is right, I missed the part about not rinsing them thoroughly and using the dishwasher....you won't get enough water up there to thoroughly get rid of the pbw residue.

Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of. I'll rinse them thoroughly and get the jet washer for the future.

Back