Strawberry Wheat got great reviews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy wanted me to make him a strawberry wheat. I had done one last year using DME and it turned out ok for the most part. It was tart, creamy and high abv so by the 2nd glass everyone liked it. :D
This time I did a few things different, one was it was all grain, 2 I used whatever hop I had and thought would work and I used a different yeast. I also used 10 pounds of frozen berries instead of pasteurising them from fresh like I did last time.

Well I keged it 4 days ago and once it was chilled I speed carbed it because I wanted to try it. lol
My home brew club had their "summer bash" yesterday and I brought a bunch of my beers to it, the strawberry was one of them. I had not planned to share the wheat with anyone because I figured they would frown on the berry beer. But when people heard what I had they wanted to try it. Everyone loved it and people demanded that I bring a few growlers to the next meeting. But what I was really happy about was when Jeff Carlson tasted it. Jeff won "cidermaker of the year" at the NHC this year along with many awards over the years. I gave him some and he smelled it, a smile crossed his face and then he sipped it. He then looked up and simply said, "why the hell did you not submit this to the Michigan state fair?" I was like, umm, I just kegged it 3 days ago? Jeff's opinion was that I could easily win with that brew.

I'm excited, what a great reward when people like what you brewed.:ban:

Could you please post a recipe? How do you do the frozen berry's? did you puree them? Do you add them in the boil or right in the fermenter?

Could you please post a recipe? How do you do the frozen berry's? did you puree them? Do you add them in the boil or right in the fermenter?

I will also be posting it in my recipies too.

Strawberry Wheat
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/29/2008
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewer: Part Time Brewery
Boil Size: 13.44 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (20 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50):45.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.37 %
9 lbs Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 47.37 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.50 oz Perle pellets [8.20 %] (75 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
0.50 oz Perle pellets [8.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
2 Pkgs Wheat yeast (DCL Yeast #WB-06) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.42 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.82 %
Bitterness: 28.2 IBU
Calories: 222 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.7 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
TunTemperature: 100.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 23.75 qt of water at 169.8 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 13.68 qt of water at 211.5 F 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 6.61 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Notes

After 14 days in primary I racked it onto 10 pounds of frozen strawberries that we got from GFS. It sat on the berries for 18 days then kegged.

I did nothing to the berries, just cut open the bags, dumped them into the fermenter and rack the beer onto them.

View attachment strawberry wheat.bsm

Back