High gravity wort - did I pitch enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
I brewed a 1.082 OG double IPA last night, but only pitched a single vial of White Labs WLP001. As I was waiting for fermentation to begin, I took the opportunity to actually read the label of the vial, which states that I should have made a starter for any OG over 1.070. Oops...

There is activity this morning as it sits at about 70 degrees, which is good, but I'm shooting for a FG of 1.016-1.018. That's a lot of work for that one little vial to do. Would it even help to pitch more yeast at this point (18 hours after the first pitch)? Should I make a starter now and pitch once that's ready?

I'm not too worried because at least something is happening...but I don't want a syrupy sweet IPA if I can prevent it.

Any ideas?

from what I know about yeast you should technically need only 1. I think all that could be effected is the amount of time it takes to get to the FG. I don't think it will end up at a different point.

Yes I believe it can end up with a higher FG if you underpitch, although it's not a foregone conclusion. I don't know if adding yeast at this point would help, given that the reproductive aerobic phase is probably winding down.

Would it increase my chances of hitting my target FG if I pitch more at this point? Would it be better to get a starter going and pitch that in 48 hours or so?

One vial is usually insufficient for a brew above 1.050.

A new starter with the same yeast will help, but adding a new vial straight won't. Pitch your starter into your beer 12-18 hours after pitching the yeast into the starter; the yeast will be done reproducing by that point. Make sure your (minimum 1 L) new starter is about 1.040 (that's 0.25 lb/L of DME). A high gravity starter will make things worse.

Latest posts

Back