Austin HB Stone IPA Clone, low IBU???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
quick question- based on the directions i received from AHBS re: Stone IPA Clone mini-mash, utilizing the amount of hops with a 2.5 gallon wort boil will produce barely 40 IBU's. However Stone states their IPA has 70+ IBU's. I usually do full boils. This will give me over 70 IBU's if i use the same amount of hops based on your directions. I understand more water volume will give a better hop utilization. Is this just an oversight on the directions, or am i an absolute NOOB and will make an overly bitter beer (atleast more than Stone's IPA). I'd like to get going soon? Any thoughts?? Thanks for any replies!
:mug:
directions:
2.5-3 gallons boil
1 lb. munich, 1lb crystal 20l, 2 lbs 2-row, 6.5 lbs pale xtrct
1oz. warrior= 60 minutes
1oz. centennial= 15 minutes
1oz. centennial= 5 minutes
1oz. centennial= dry hopped in secondary

What are the alpha acids on the hops that were sent? The alphas are a lot lower than they were before.

Forrest

Also, adding most of the extract (maybe all if you are doing a mini mash) towards the end of the boil will help you extract more IBUs from the hops.

warrior= 16.3%
centennial= 10.3%
directions were for 2.5 g minimash sparged with .5 g totalling 3 gallons i guess. Directions also stated to add ALL extract to 3 gallons and boil- adding hops as i stated before. Using promash, this gives approx 37 IBU's. Using same calculations with a FULL boil (5 gallons), IBU's are about 77 (which is what Stone IPA states it has). So, as per directions from AHBS, IBU's seem to be very low for minimash partial boil. So if i do a full boil using the same amount of hops (total of 4 oz.), would i get a more realistic result in IBU'? Are my calc's screwed?

At a 3 gallon boil I get 51 IBUs. If you do a full boil it puts you near 80 IBUs. If you do a partial boil and add the extract at the end it gives 104IBUs. All calculated with Tinseth. Is there an option on promash for late boil extract additions? IMO, that is going to be your best bet....you might actually need to cut back on the hops some.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but how is Stone's regular IPA compared to their Ruination IPA?

I was going to get a clone kit and I'm not sure which. I've only tried Ruination which was very good.

david_42 said:
I'd go with a full boil and extract at the start.

Oh, I agree. A full boil is always better, but for some reason I assumed that the OP might not have the equipment for full boils.

I noticed that i neglected to add that AHBS directions state to add water to the wort to make up 5.25 gallons (which will slightly askew the #'s). I have used beersmith and flagged the "ADD AFTER BOIL" for the malt extract- using the directions w/ a 3 Gallon boil this gives an IBU of ~82, a full boil of 6 gallons (assuming boil off in order to get to 5.25 gallons) gives me ~96 IBU. So, in your opinion, will either way (obviously tweaking the bittering warrior to ~0.75 oz. for 6 gallon boil= 79 IBU) give me a realistic outcome adding the extract at the end of boil. Sorry to be repetitive, i just wanna make surei get this right. Once again,this flies in contradiction to AHBS directions.

I would do full boil adding extract at the beginning. When I do this I get 84 IBUs. You will barely be able to tell the difference between 84 and 79 IBUs and the 84 IBUs is a guess anyway. I would do the full boil, extract at beginning, and hop as written on the instructions.

Back