Keg Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFryan

Reaction score
So I just kegged a pale ale I brewed. (all grain) So far the following has occured:
2 weeks in primary
1 week dry hopped

Then I transferred to the my keg.. Hooked it up to C02... Purged.. and put in the kegerator where it has been at 36 degrees since Saturday.

During the past few days I have been reading a lot of posts on proper keg conditioning. I realize I have been doing it wrong. I should be purging and sealing the keg with c02. The letting it sit at room temp for another 2-3 weeks.

So at this point what are my options:

1) Leave it alone in the kegerator for 3+ weeks

2) Shut off the c02.. Disconnect... and bring back to room temp for a few weeks. Then hook back up to c02 for a week in the kegerator. Then serve

3) Or (Same as above) except leave in my garage (approx 50F) for a few weeks..

I guess the real info I need is going to be on the temperatures. If I take it from 36F the past 2 days up to room temp to condition will I cause more harm than good?

Im a noob but I just hook it up to co2 then let it cool to 35..I think the sooner you drink the better hop aroma so I force carbonate. I do this by unhooking the co2 and rolling the keg on the floor. Then hooking it back up and repete a few times. Then wait a day to settle. Just did it tonight on double ipa.

I keg my beers when they're ready to go to glass (except for carbonation) and not before then. That can be anywhere from two weeks to a year from pitching the yeast (depends on the batch, but most are in the 2-16 weeks time frame). If the beer is carbonated and doesn't have any off flavors, then you should be ok. I would just make sure future beers are really ready to be carbonated before you keg them.

Pull a pint from the keg after 2 weeks at serving pressure and temperature and then decide before you do anything. THAT will tell you what you should do (if anything).

I'm the opposite of Golddiggie. I keg it up as soon as I hit TG. Less footprint in the fridge and no air exposure. If I'm dryhopping, lagering, or fining I will transfer keg to keg once that is done.

Conditioning at room temperature is just letting it get older. Conditioning should be at -1C or as cold as possible.

I'm the opposite of Golddiggie. I keg it up as soon as I hit TG. Less footprint in the fridge and no air exposure. If I'm dryhopping, lagering, or fining I will transfer keg to keg once that is done.

Conditioning at room temperature is just letting it get older. Conditioning should be at -1C or as cold as possible.

So you keg green beer. :rolleyes:

Don't want those dry hops to go to waste.

I dry hop IN serving keg. I add them just before a keg goes in to chill and carbonate. Two weeks (or more) gives the hops plenty of time to infuse the beer. Then you get great hop flavor/aroma for the entire keg. Plus, with the hops in a nylon hop bag, I don't have any trouble with cleanup. :D

You can also use hop bursting to get really good/great hop flavor/aroma in a batch without dry hopping... Try it sometime.

Ya. Did that on a ipa that had cedar chips in the secodary and was too over powering pine taste. so I added more hops to the keg. Have you ever removed the hops and replaced with more once carbed?

Ya. Did that on a ipa that had cedar chips in the secodary and was too over powering pine taste. so I added more hops to the keg. Have you ever removed the hops and replaced with more once carbed?

Nope... I usually use 1oz per 3 gallon keg of beer. :D I just let the bag float for the entire keg. After the 2-3 week carbonation period, those kegs tend to kick in 2-4 weeks. :rockin:

What hops did you use? I tend to dry hop with either EKG or a mix of EKG and Fuggles. :ban::rockin:

I added another ounce simcoe in the keg too..

ForumRunner_20121230_230649.png

Not a fan of either hop used... Since it's a "Piney ale" I'm not surprised you had that flavor. :eek: :D If you don't like the flavor, then use different hops. I'm finding that I've been using EKG for pretty much all my flavor/aroma/dry hop additions for the past several batches. REALLY like what it gives in my batches. Of course, I'm also using English malts and yeast strains. :rockin: :D

i have, sort of. dry hop in a weighted bag on a piece of (non-minted) dental floss which comes out through the keg lid and tied to the handle or post. leave it 5 days under low pressure to keep the lid sealed, remove it via the floss. prepare second dry hop in the same manner, but so that when the keg level is down about 1/3, the hops are out of the beer, then in the fridge to fully carbonate. doubt i'll bother with such a weird process again but it was fine to do. but i wouldn't put dry hops into a fully carbed beer, i see foam shower in your future

Back