Started my first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Started my first stout tonight. Followed this recipe

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/milk-oatmeal-stout-182975/

and so far so good. I lost a LOT of volume during the steep/boil because of the oats and steeping grains.

This is also my first brew using just tap water treated with campden tablets. We'll see how it goes!

OG: 1.052
Windsor yeast, rehydrated when brewing started and pitched at 77F.

Also, I think I decided I really like Fuggles hops. The smell is just so good, lol. I bit into a pellet and noticed a slightly spicy flavor.

Hopefully it's a good one!

Cheers

This was bubbling away within 2 hours of pitching yeast, checked it this afternoon and the airlock was going crazy! I'll post a video when I get home.

Cheers

I was bit by the milk stout bug 2 weeks ago at a restaurant and decided i had to make one. Certainly kind of a bigger PITA as far as doing a partial boil than the others I've done, but I think it'll be fine.

I'll get the video up soon. Its basically slowed to nothing today. A little worried about it cuz it smells a lil weird and I deviated from my 'normal process' by using tap water. Surely everything is fine and I'm just being paranoid. Also my first dark beer so maybe that's y its different smelling. Kinda smells like butt tho :-/ lol

Suspecting the "butt" smell is some kind of sulfur smell. I'm not sure if Windsor is known for being extra sulfur-y but sulfu seems like a logical conclusion and I know yeast can put out a bit of sulfur smell during fermentation.

I am attempting my first AG stout next weekend. What kind of oats did you use? I am using Quaker Old Fashioned and I wonder if I need to follow this step; "Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F " before I throw them into the mash at ~155 F.

My stout!!!!

image-2459680584.jpg

I am attempting my first AG stout next weekend. What kind of oats did you use? I am using Quaker Old Fashioned and I wonder if I need to follow this step; "Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F " before I throw them into the mash at ~155 F.

I actually bought flaked oats at my LHBS. I wasn't sure if I had enough oats at home. According to Palmer Old Fashioned oats should be prepared according to box directions prior to use:

John Palmer said:
Oatmeal: 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

Hope this helps!

Very nice airlock activity willy. I think your smell is just the stout beer. My Irish stout has a slight off smell. Let me know how it bottles and comes out. Cheers.

Thanks for sharing! Yours looks to be coming along quite well. I'm hoping that's the smell, I'm sure a lot of it is just paranoia because I've stepped out of my "comfort zone" doing a new style of beer with different water and what not. My airlock activity has basically ceased at this point (i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything) so it's just a waiting game. I'm particularly excited for this brew because it is a new brew with new ingredients and I haven't done a "dark beer" yet. I also put a lot of work into this one so I want it to be good (I spent probably 2 weeks trying to decide on a stout recipe that I wanted to do).

Cheers

Doctor_Wily said:
Thanks for sharing! Yours looks to be coming along quite well. I'm hoping that's the smell, I'm sure a lot of it is just paranoia because I've stepped out of my "comfort zone" doing a new style of beer with different water and what not. My airlock activity has basically ceased at this point (i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything) so it's just a waiting game. I'm particularly excited for this brew because it is a new brew with new ingredients and I haven't done a "dark beer" yet. I also put a lot of work into this one so I want it to be good (I spent probably 2 weeks trying to decide on a stout recipe that I wanted to do).

Cheers

I brewed mine Saturday and had crazy airlock activity. BUT, it ceased 48 hours ago. The final gravity never changed. I had to bottle it today. It really needed to be put in the secondary but I'm having surgery Tuesday and won't be able to bottle it after my surgery. It tasted amazing. Hope that yours comes out terrific. Def keep me up to date. Here's a pic of me racking it and the 48 bottles I got out of it.

Cheers.

image-3054907321.jpg

image-1384496573.jpg

Sorry to hear bout the surgery. Glad you got it bottled before that you can enjoy while you recover. I'll be sure to update as mine progresses! Cheers to a swift recovery if I don't hear from you before then.

@derbycitybrewer

Is that the Brewer's Best Irish Stout? I am brewing mine right now, hopefully it turns out great :)

Doctor_Wily said:
Sorry to hear bout the surgery. Glad you got it bottled before that you can enjoy while you recover. I'll be sure to update as mine progresses! Cheers to a swift recovery if I don't hear from you before then.

Thank you very much. Cheers!!! Follow me on YouTube. Jelder1276

Erich8 said:
@derbycitybrewer

Is that the Brewer's Best Irish Stout? I am brewing mine right now, hopefully it turns out great :)

Yes this is the Irish stout. Great beer kit. Follow me on YouTube I have a few videos on the kit. Jelder1276
Cheers

@derbycitybrewer

If you follow the instructions from opening the box to chilling the wort and putting it in the fermenter you'll be good. Then throw the instructions away, saving the part that tells you what the expected FG will be. Keep the fermenter cool, like in the low to mid 60's for a week, then let it warm to the low 70's for another 2 weeks, check the gravity and it is is stable and near the predicted FG, bottle that up. Being a dark beer this will take a little more time in the bottle before it hits its peak flavor so don't be discouraged if it doesn't taste great at 3 weeks. I find that stouts get really good between 2 and 3 months in the bottle. Make sure to save some to see if it isn't true.:rockin:

Cool. I will check out your videos on YouTube I have a little time before work. And RM-MN I followed the instructions to a T. I had never used a dry yeast before and woke up this morning expecting activity and there was none. My last couple of brews I have used Wyeast so I've had really quick fermentation. I'm not worried that it hasn't started up as I have read it will take some time. I am going to check on it after work. And great advice being patient. As I brew more batches my patience is getting a little better. Also, I had read or watched a video somewhere that these stouts do take a while to age, I am thinking a couple weeks in the primary before bottling and letting them condition for a good month or so bottled before I try one.

Erich8 said:
Cool. I will check out your videos on YouTube I have a little time before work. And RM-MN I followed the instructions to a T. I had never used a dry yeast before and woke up this morning expecting activity and there was none. My last couple of brews I have used Wyeast so I've had really quick fermentation. I'm not worried that it hasn't started up as I have read it will take some time. I am going to check on it after work. And great advice being patient. As I brew more batches my patience is getting a little better. Also, I had read or watched a video somewhere that these stouts do take a while to age, I am thinking a couple weeks in the primary before bottling and letting them condition for a good month or so bottled before I try one.

What temp did you pitch your yeast? I had activity in like 8 hours.

Just checked my FG on this and it was 1.027 which is a touch higher than the recipe said (1.024). I really liked the sample, as did my GF which is amazing since she "hates stouts"! It's a touch sweet but I think once carbonated it'll balance well.

Bottling later tonight.

Just tasted a bottle after 8 days. More time will be great on this beer I think. The sweetness I was concerned has certainly mellowed some. My bottle was also at room temp. More time to carb up (carbonation was a bit low) and cooled in the fridge and I think i'll have a winner.

Doctor_Wily said:
Just tasted a bottle after 8 days. More time will be great on this beer I think. The sweetness I was concerned has certainly mellowed some. My bottle was also at room temp. More time to carb up (carbonation was a bit low) and cooled in the fridge and I think i'll have a winner.

Glad to hear the brew is coming along. Mine has been bottled for almost 3 weeks now and it beautiful. I also had the higher fg problem. The abv on mine is low as hell. But a very nice clean stout. Cheer 17.

Back