Smoked Porter from grains and extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmoogdaddy

Reaction score
I have made a smoked porter using a Brewer's Best Robust Porter and adding 2 lbs. of smoked malt. It was excellent, but now I find myself wanting something more from the dark grains. I have 1 lb. each of Black, Chocolate and Caramel 120 to work with. I thought I would go with:

2 lbs. Smoked

1/2 lb. Chocolate

1/2 lb. Black

1/2 lb. Caramel 120 steeped at 152 for 1 hr.

Bring to a boil and add:

3.3 lbs. Light LME

3.3 lbs. Porter LME

1/2 cup Blackstrap Molasses

3/4 cup Brown Sugar

1 oz. Northern Brewer @ 6o min.

1 oz. Fuggles @ 20 min.

Rehydrated Nottingham at 65 degrees.

Any thoughts on this?

So I think for the first time in my 40+ batch career, I will skip the secondary. I will just leave this one in the primary and move it to my low 60's basement for another week. Then bottle.

Sound really good. Set a few bottles up for... well... years. Smoked porter is one of those amazing beers that changes while it ages. In about 4-5 years the smoke character should come firmly to the forefront (not like a Rauchbeir, but more than before). Then around 8 years, it falls WAY back and the beer takes on a flavor similar to a fine Port. Then it settles down around 12 years to a REALLY smooth and flavorful beer. The oldest I've had was 16 years, I could happily spend the rest of my life drinking only that beer.

Back