How long...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you keep them cold, they stay drinkable for years. I find that the hop aroma will subside in a homebrew in about 2-3 months.

I keep one bottle of every brew for one year. At the one year anniversary, i try it and compare the taste to the notes I made when it was fresh. I have only had a couple that weren't as good as the original. No problems with IPA's or PA's.

Cool. I've read in many places that hop forward beers usually lsoe their hoppiness after a few months.

Hops do fade over time, but if you have the beer in the fridge, it takes longer. IME, at room temp, a couple few months and aroma and flavors start to fade. Several months and they really start to fade.

Who takes that long to drink their beer? :tank::drunk::D

Ummmm....... me? When ya have two on tap, two on deck next to the kegerator, two in secondary, three in the fermenter, ingredients for the next two batches, a kit you received as a gift and several in bottles, not to mention are a commercial beer junkie, you'd be amazed at how long some beers can last. :D

Me. I have two seasons, brewing season (late fall/winter) and busy season (the rest of the year) so I brew lots and bottle enough to last all year, then meter them out over the busy season so I don't run out before the next brewing season and have to buy commercial or drink mine before it is mature.

Ummmm....... me? When ya have two on tap, two on deck next to the kegerator, two in secondary, three in the fermenter, ingredients for the next two batches, a kit you received as a gift and several in bottles, not to mention are a commercial beer junkie, you'd be amazed at how long some beers can last. :D

Holy crap! That is....AWESOME!

Me. I have two seasons, brewing season (late fall/winter) and busy season (the rest of the year) so I brew lots and bottle enough to last all year, then meter them out over the busy season so I don't run out before the next brewing season and have to buy commercial or drink mine before it is mature.

Nice pipeline, gents! Most i've had is 3 full kegs but one wasn't carbed yet. SWMBO doesn't like me brewing every week, really doesn't like the smell and the time it takes...but I'm getting there. 1.5 kegs drinking, one wit a week from kegging, and brewing this weekend.

Friends come over (hers and mine) and if there's a beer that they like, it goes quickly. I took a keg to Memorial Day party, friends' houses, etc. so they go quickly.

Nice pipeline, gents! Most i've had is 3 full kegs but one wasn't carbed yet. SWMBO doesn't like me brewing every week, really doesn't like the smell and the time it takes...but I'm getting there. 1.5 kegs drinking, one wit a week from kegging, and brewing this weekend.

Friends come over (hers and mine) and if there's a beer that they like, it goes quickly. I took a keg to Memorial Day party, friends' houses, etc. so they go quickly.

That's the beauty of being married to a beer geek. If I don't brew ~weekly, I usually hear about it. :D

NordeastBrewer77 said:
That's the beauty of being married to a beer geek. If I don't brew ~weekly, I usually hear about it. :D

Getting to the point where my wife is requesting brews and wondering what's next and when I'm brewing...I think it's growing on her.

she likes beer but nothing hoppy or big. Wits, blondes, etc. I try to keep something on tap that she likes. Else she may tell me to can the whole operation! :confused:

Essentially I'm the guy who likes a beer or two every night and she's the gal that likes a few every week or so.

Kudos to you, but I do love her just the same :rockin:

+1. How long did it take to get to all that?

:off: The oldest beer I have around is from last fall. I'm actually feeling like I'm pretty low on homebrew, I didn't brew for ~a month or so until last week.... and I should be honest, I only have one keg waiting on deck, the other one next to the fridge is my sons' root beer.
It's pretty easy to stock up though. I try to brew weekly, and my wife also brews and makes wine and between that and commercial brew, we're pretty stocked. I'm only really set up to primary two five gal batches and one 2-3 gal batch at a time. About a third of my batches are < 3 gallons, and I try to always have a small batch and at least one five gal batch going. I also like to have at least a batch aging. Look at my sigline, the two I have in secondary are both just bulk aging. And they're both small batches, < 3 gal, so it seems like a lot, but I won't be drinking on either of those until this fall or winter. One of the three I have in primary is 2.5 gal of IPA, once that's bottled and carbed, we'll kill that in a week or so. Some beers we drink fast, others may sit around awhile, like my wife's N.E. brown. I try to keep a mix of both. :tank:

Brother, lately I try to keep 2 kegs serving at all times...it's amazing how fast one can kick when you have friends over/take one to a party/make a beer that SWMBO loves. I have 4 ale pails now and intend on them always being full or damn-near.

:off: The oldest beer I have around is from last fall. I'm actually feeling like I'm pretty low on homebrew, I didn't brew for ~a month or so until last week.... and I should be honest, I only have one keg waiting on deck, the other one next to the fridge is my sons' root beer.
It's pretty easy to stock up though. I try to brew weekly, and my wife also brews and makes wine and between that and commercial brew, we're pretty stocked. I'm only really set up to primary two five gal batches and one 2-3 gal batch at a time. About a third of my batches are < 3 gallons, and I try to always have a small batch and at least one five gal batch going. I also like to have at least a batch aging. Look at my sigline, the two I have in secondary are both just bulk aging. And they're both small batches, < 3 gal, so it seems like a lot, but I won't be drinking on either of those until this fall or winter. One of the three I have in primary is 2.5 gal of IPA, once that's bottled and carbed, we'll kill that in a week or so. Some beers we drink fast, others may sit around awhile, like my wife's N.E. brown. I try to keep a mix of both. :tank:

:off: I feel your pain! I hadn't brewed for 6 weeks up until last Memorial weekend. I was having issues keeping my swamp coolers cool enough. I got a huge ice chest that is now maintaining temps very good, and it holds 2 fermenters. So I brewed a party-gyle last weekend so I could get 10 gallons in there. I also have some saison yeast on the way, so I can get another batch going without a swamp cooler. :mug:

As far as the OP's question goes, my hoppy beers seem to fade at about 8-10 weeks...

:off:

I have three full fermenters as of yesterday.

Balance has been restored to the force.

:off: I just started brewing less than a month ago. I brewed 3 batches in the first 3 weeks after I got my equipment and I was loving brewing every weekend. Problem is, we're going on vaca in a week and a half so I've had to put my brewing on hold until after vaca. I've already bottled my first brew and my 2nd and 3rd batches are going to be bottled this week leaving me with no more brewing activities until after vaca... :(

I am planning on picking up where I left off though on that first week after vaca and get those fermenting buckets full of beer once again! :rockin:

:off: I feel your pain! I hadn't brewed for 6 weeks up until last Memorial weekend. I was having issues keeping my swamp coolers cool enough. I got a huge ice chest that is now maintaining temps very good, and it holds 2 fermenters. So I brewed a party-gyle last weekend so I could get 10 gallons in there. I also have some saison yeast on the way, so I can get another batch going without a swamp cooler. :mug:

As far as the OP's question goes, my hoppy beers seem to fade at about 8-10 weeks...

You were having trouble keeping your coolers cool? I seem to remember a certain someone with a mountain of ice bags in one of his swamp coolers.... apparently lagering some sorta something.... know anyone like that?! :D :mug: But.... it sounds like you're even better off now. Glad to see ya back brewing some beer! :mug:

Getting to the point where my wife is requesting brews and wondering what's next and when I'm brewing...I think it's growing on her.

My wife's always been a beer girl, and has really good taste, IMO. She brews a few amazing beers too, but I'm the main one brewing, so I gotta keep the pipeline going for both of us. :mug:

Oh yeah, and :off: or something like that. :rockin:

My wife's not a big beer drinker (more wine). But she's the one that gave me the push to get me started in this hobby by getting me my brewing equipment for my birthday this past month. She's helped me brew every batch I've done so she enjoys the brewing process, just not the beer so much.

She does like Oberon which I have dry hopping at the moment and she does like fruity beers so I'm going to make an Apricot Wit soon so that should appease her enough!

You were having trouble keeping your coolers cool? I seem to remember a certain someone with a mountain of ice bags in one of his swamp coolers.... apparently lagering some sorta something.... know anyone like that?! :D :mug: But.... it sounds like you're even better off now. Glad to see ya back brewing some beer! :mug:

Haha! Yeah it's actually easier to keep it at 35-40F since you just bury the sucker in ice bottles. Keeping a constant 62-65F seemed to be more of a challenge. Now that I'm using an ice chest instead of rubbermaid containers I'm not having problems anymore.

Haha! Yeah it's actually easier to keep it at 35-40F since you just bury the sucker in ice bottles. Keeping a constant 62-65F seemed to be more of a challenge. Now that I'm using an ice chest instead of rubbermaid containers I'm not having problems anymore.

Epic! Your thread on that inspired me to lager my alt (kolsch yeast) in the swamp cooler..... or should I say, attempt to lager it that way. I ended up using my 70 qt cooler to do it, but the ice mountain sure worked! :rockin:

And OP, I sure wish so many people would quit going :off: here. What's wrong with you people?! :ban: :ban:

This thread is so :off: that now it's on topic!

So, I guess I'll say something that is relevent to the OP's op...
I had one beer that I brewed that actually retained it's aroma for about 3.5 months once. That was the only one I ever brewed that retained it's aroma that long. It was a Midwest kit that I added aroma additions to. The kit was the Liberty Cream Ale, but I don't recall what aroma hops I added. :p

Yeah, I guess I would probably be pretty stocked up too, but my brother's getting married in three weeks so even though I've been brewing every weekend I give him one case for the wedding. We'll have a hell of a selection though!

This thread is so :off: that now it's on topic!

So, I guess I'll say something that is relevent to the OP's op...
I had one beer that I brewed that actually retained it's aroma for about 3.5 months once. That was the only one I ever brewed that retained it's aroma that long. It was a Midwest kit that I added aroma additions to. The kit was the Liberty Cream Ale, but I don't recall what aroma hops I added. :p

That's nice to hear. That's their kit of the month this month, and I have a pretty awesome mother that gets us a membership for xmas! I have it sitting downstairs in and next to the fridge. Maybe I'll try upping the aroma adds a bit. But.... to keep it real and :off:, their kits always impress me. I just took a FG reading on the Honey Weizen I did, used 3056, and man it's tasting like a great summer beer. :mug:

We'll have a hell of a selection though!

:tank: That's for sure!

That's nice to hear. That's their kit of the month this month, and I have a pretty awesome mother that gets us a membership for xmas! I have it sitting downstairs in and next to the fridge. Maybe I'll try upping the aroma adds a bit. But.... to keep it real and :off:, their kits always impress me. I just took a FG reading on the Honey Weizen I did, used 3056, and man it's tasting like a great summer beer. :mug:

I have been happy with all of their kits too. You're lucky to receive that membership! You'll like the Liberty Cream. It's a great summer beer!

I have been happy with all of their kits too. You're lucky to receive that membership! You'll like the Liberty Cream. It's a great summer beer!

Yeah, I've liked everything I've brewed of theirs. I did the Amarillo Pale Ale (basically a SNPA clone w/Amarillo in place of cascade) last summer... that was a big hit. I was looking' at the Liberty Cream last night, it's all cascade, my wife thinks I should dry hop it... I agree. As soon as my ESB comes outta the swamp cooler, I'll throw that kit together. :tank: In the vein of trying to keep this thread on topic, I'll post back the results of how long the hops aroma lingers..... :ban:

Back