Help identifying potential keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfpackguy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was offered two "keg" looking things from work. They were only used once or twice, and I know what substances they were used for - and they would be fine for beer contact with cleaning/sanitization. They are in practically new condition. Basically just a little dust.

My question is, does this look like a keg? If so, what type? Doesn't look to me exactly like corny-style kegs ive seen. There is a long dip tube to the bottom under the red cap, and the black caps are all threaded into the body.

Sorry if this seems like a noob question. Just wondering if it is an actual keg or can be used as one since I know it was used as a pressurized vessel.

If it can - what type of equipment do i need to fit it?

Thanks!!

IMAG0219.jpg

You need to identify the thread size on the ports. Easiest way would be to take your new friends for a car ride to a LHBS. If you are lucky they will have a match for a common keg thread and just plop an in and out on.

I would just plug the other two ports with another set of in out for ease myself. Gives you future choices like spunding or a carb stone. And it will likely be easier then finding a plug.

And dip tubes might be needed.

I would look to see if there is a chilling circuit built into the keg. Two caps for glycol circulation through a coil, one for gas in, one for beer out.

They are multi purpose dispensing/product tanks. Basically a corny with 4 ports. You can cap the 2 and try to find something to fit the other 2 for gas in and beer out (red capped one). Chi company has something similar on there site and I know I have seen then elsewhere.

I have some of those at work as well, and I've always thought they looked like they'd make great kegs! Pretty sure the ports are NPT. In the lab I work in we put some NPT to Swagelok adapters and we use them all over the place: heat exchanger as Gregscsu mentioned, a dead volume/buffer to help maintain constant pressure on a compressed air line, source of pressurized DI water, etc. I've seen them hold 60-100 psi of gas, no problem.

Latest posts

Back