What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled 2 each of American porter, American amber, and imperial milkshake with peach and mango for a competition. Dropped them off at the lhbs to get mailed with the rest of the clubs entries. Picked up yeast and more dme to make a starter for next weeks brew(still not sure what, but it will be with chico)

Took a sample of my bavarian honey hop bomb IPA to test carbonation . Looking good ! Ready for an event tomorrow!
IMG_20181109_141446969.jpeg

Legged my first oatmeal stout (thanks to Yooper) and added a stout tap and nitro rig to my ferm/lager/garage beer fridge

here's my .999 silver wire ring for my middle finger to give to you know who!

100_0518.JPG

and yeah, that tobacco bullet is loaded with homegrown tobacco!

Never seizes to amaze me that the breweries not only answer but steer you into the right direction. Guess they don't see homebrewers as a threat to their revenue
My dad said the same thing to me. I figure, most breweries realize we aren't a threat. If we like a certain beer, we're most likely going to continue to buy it. I would think most home brewers aren't drinking just their own beer. I just thought it was cool that they helped. They could have just said, "good enough!".

436655be6e90fcd81b.jpg

Drove nearly 150km there and another back to get these (amongst a few other things from different shops here and there) next gonna wash a few fermenters and sanitize a bunch of bottles. Come evening will first bottle a batch of Theakston Old Peculier clone then gonna get that ruby red started, fire up the sauna and down a bunch of brews.

Not a bad day IMO.

If all goes according to plan:

Barley wine in secondary on whiskey-soaked oak (maybe one more week, it’s still bubbling a wee bit)

Pale Ale bottled

Smoked Porter brewed

And the Red Rye should be fully carbed. (Yup, and it is amazingly delicious!)

Last edited:
Started up my house lager this morning at (late for me) 7am, and panicked because propane seemed lower than I thought. So hied me off to the store to exchange. Darn first tank is still going and there's 60 minutes left in the boil, but better be safe than stalled boil. And kegged up the dark lager from last weekend to free up the yeast for this one; I must say I'm impressed with pitching directly on the cake, last time it took off in less than 6 hours. Gonna dump some wort on it here in a few to give it a head start. Cold out here but smells wonderful!

Yeast from Young's Special London Ale is growing well now. Fuller's IPA also works fine, although the viability is low. In a bottle of Special London Ale the sediment was barely visible but it gives much more colonies when compared to Fuller's IPA that had a huge yeast sediment at the bottom. Both werewere inoculated ~the same way.
IMG_20181110_194107593.jpg
IMG_20181110_194134935.jpg

Never seizes to amaze me that the breweries not only answer but steer you into the right direction. Guess they don't see homebrewers as a threat to their revenue
Not really but they know that it's probably not to proprietary.

I will say that craft brewers are more willing to share since many were once just as inspired by somebody else's beer.

Don't they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery?

If you have a special process that sets you aside you might try not over publicize it. Especially if you can use a special mash process, a first wort boil off, and a yeast blend. One can tell people the basic recipe but not share all of the process. They can make something close but not really replicate it entirely.

I like the simple idea of developing your own malt, via roasting, toasting and smoking your own malt from pale malt. It's hard to just replicate that. It's makes a beer stand out in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yesterday: brewed with a couple guys from my brew club. Today: cleaned one of my kegs and the tap line it was on, then promptly filled it with my herbal gruit-inspired imperial oatmeal stout. Will soon do the prep for brewing tomorrow.

Have fun but I must say, I’m jealous. One b/c I see people in shorts and two, well it’s a beer club event. Enough said.

Yes I’m jealous in that order. It’s snowing in NY!!!
Damn it's snowing in New York already? Yeah it was 78 and sunny but it is Florida so we only get two weeks of what we call winter when it gets down into the low 40s at night lol

I added crushed vanilla, coffee and cocoa beans - soaked in 12 years old Demerara rum - to my Affogato Imperial Brown Ale ( 7.9% ABV )
I added natural dried plums and Sherry Oloroso oak chips - soaked in 12 years old Demerara rum - to my Imperial Porter ( 9.5% ABV )
I added mango, peaches and apricots - pureed - to my Hybrid Pale Ale ( 5.6% ABV )

This is a thread intended for anyone that does anything related to home brewing. You can post any thing you want as long as it was what you did today. What I did was make a Stout. If you made a chiller, brew pot, ordered hops, ordered grain, brewed a beer, made your first beer, whatever... what did you do for beer today?
update the sink and change out plugs to gfci

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_120346.jpg
    IMG_20181107_120346.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 51
Just got 6 gallons of mosaic smash ipa in the can. I pitched a large 2L starter of wlp095. I am going to shoot for dry hop day 2 and day 7 and I am hoping to have it in the bottle in ten days or less so I can taste that mosaic goodness. Brewed up a new kombucha batch too. I need another beer.

Well. Decided to sniff the yeast that was growing in a tiny erlenmayer when I hit the flask opening with my Lactobacillus nose. Then, postponed the brewday and prepared a new culture... Rule number one, never put your nose anywhere in the lab.

Also learned how to draw labels in Inkscape.

Yeast from Young's Special London Ale is growing well now. Fuller's IPA also works fine, although the viability is low. In a bottle of Special London Ale the sediment was barely visible but it gives much more colonies when compared to Fuller's IPA that had a huge yeast sediment at the bottom. Both werewere inoculated ~the same way.
View attachment 597086 View attachment 597087

i grow mushrooms, and i have to use parafilm to seal the petri dishes? don't see any in the photos? don't you get infections on that agar?

Damn it's snowing in New York already? Yeah it was 78 and sunny but it is Florida so we only get two weeks of what we call winter when it gets down into the low 40s at night lol

got you beat! i live in S.AZ and it's 80 here! has been starting to dip down to the 40's at night though....it never rains here either, and we don't get hurricanes!

And i'm brewing a batch of beer! look forward to adding to the how many gallons thread after it's done and i add the yeast!

i grow mushrooms, and i have to use parafilm to seal the petri dishes? don't see any in the photos? don't you get infections on that agar?

got you beat! i live in S.AZ and it's 80 here! has been starting to dip down to the 40's at night though....it never rains here either, and we don't get hurricanes!

And i'm brewing a batch of beer! look forward to adding to the how many gallons thread after it's done and i add the yeast!
Awesome man! I brewed my first lager a month and a half ago and now I'm going crazy making those so it'll be awhile for rotation I'm going to let them actually age properly [emoji16]

No, unless you leave the lid open for too long.. But I do wrap the plates in sanitized alu foil during growth & storage which is much the same as Parafilm, although less tight. If you leave those upside down without any cover so yes, eventually you will get some contaminations through the gap between lid and the plate. Parafilm is good if you need to store very long cause it will prevent plates from drying out, too. I have only kept the plates for a week or two and then replate or thaw fresh yeast from the freezer. An additional method would be to store the plates inside a sanitized plastic container.

Last edited:
Pitched starter at 3:30. Fermentation signs in 3 hours. Never again will I go without a proper starter I’m sold on the extra efforts. Especially trying to turn the beer while it’s fresh, productive day. :rock:
I started doing starters and harvesting yeast from them a month ago. Totally worth it and it does make better beer !!

Latest posts

Back