Fuggles sub - EKG or Glacier ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your intent is to have the substitute match the Fuggles flavor and aroma as closely as possible and you have only those two to choose from, Glacier would be the one. It's going to have more of a cirtusy flavor and aroma than Fuggles but it will still have the earthy notes that Fuggles has.

If your intent is to stay within a general style (i.e you're making an English Bitter that calls for Fuggles and you want to stay with an English character), Goldings would be the choice.

Personally I'd go with Willamette as the closest substitute. But if you're stuck picking between EKG and Glacier, I think glacier is closer.

Glacier: Dual purpose hop with a citrus earthy aroma.

I've got lots of Glacier and EKG on hand.

I want to brew up an Avery Ellie's Brown clone. It calls for Fuggles at 0 minutes.

So, it sounds like Glacier will be the better substitute here.

Thanks!

Kent Golding has some earthiness to it. I've used it before. Over & above the herby lemon grass flavors it also has. I smelled the lemon grass as soon as I opened it. But Willamette has more earthiness to it.
They both have some spicy qualities too,although Willamette adds floral notes to that.

Back