Thermometer calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o4_srt

Reaction score
I have access to calibrated, lab grade temp measurement equipment at work.

Instead of calibrating at freezing and boiling, like is usually done at home, is there any reason I couldn't calibrate at mash temps?

I've seen thermometers vary at different points in their temp range, but be dead in in other places.

Seems to me like this would be a much more guaranteed calibration.

I have access to calibrated, lab grade temp measurement equipment at work.

Instead of calibrating at freezing and boiling, like is usually done at home, is there any reason I couldn't calibrate at mash temps?

I've seen thermometers vary at different points in their temp range, but be dead in in other places.

Seems to me like this would be a much more guaranteed calibration.

Yes, calibrating your thermometer in the range that you will be measuring the most. That would be about 150*F for home brewing/mashing. Thermometer errors are usually far from linear (as you observed), particularly with the mechanical type bi-metal dial thermometers. The digital versions, while not perfect, seem to hold calibration much better than the mechanical ones. That makes sense as there are no moving parts on the digital thermometers as there are on the dial type.

I just calibrated my new trutemp digital in ice and get 32.0 and in boiling water it reads 201.5 - 202.0. This is at 5040 ft. Of course it just started raining so i am wondering about the upper calculation. Online calulators for altitude say boiling point at my altitude should be 202.8. Would a rain storm drop barometric pressure to account for the difference? Should I even worry? I haven't had my home brew yet today so that might explain the anxiety:cross:.

I don't know about thermometers, but yes rain is usually* present with a drop in barometric pressure (think hurricane, it's a low pressure system).
*But not alway (cold fronts usually bring rain, but they are a high pressure system moving in).

If your calibration is within 1 degree Fahrenheit (it's pretty close based on the numbers above) I would not worry for home brewing purposes.

I just calibrated my new trutemp digital in ice and get 32.0 and in boiling water it reads 201.5 - 202.0. This is at 5040 ft. Of course it just started raining so i am wondering about the upper calculation. Online calulators for altitude say boiling point at my altitude should be 202.8. Would a rain storm drop barometric pressure to account for the difference? Should I even worry? I haven't had my home brew yet today so that might explain the anxiety:cross:.

IMO, your thermometer is well within the acceptable tolerance range and it's probably about as good as it gets. A kettle of boiling water will have some variation in it's temperature depending on where you measure it. The water will be under higher pressure at the bottom of the kettle (just slightly, but some) and this translates to a slightly higher boiling temperature. The water at near the surface will have cooled a tiny bit en route from the bottom. There will be all kinds of convention currents romping around in the kettle with heat escaping from the sides and surface. This is why I perfer a calibrated glass thermometer for a benchmark and you can compare them at any temperature, not just freezing and boiling. A good lab thermometer is not at all expensive and IMO a must have in the brewers tool kit. You do have a brewer's tool kit, don't you? :D

IMO, your thermometer is well within the acceptable tolerance range and it's probably about as good as it gets. A kettle of boiling water will have some variation in it's temperature depending on where you measure it. The water will be under higher pressure at the bottom of the kettle (just slightly, but some) and this translates to a slightly higher boiling temperature. The water at near the surface will have cooled a tiny bit en route from the bottom. There will be all kinds of convention currents romping around in the kettle with heat escaping from the sides and surface. This is why I perfer a calibrated glass thermometer for a benchmark and you can compare them at any temperature, not just freezing and boiling. A good lab thermometer is not at all expensive and IMO a must have in the brewers tool kit. You do have a brewer's tool kit, don't you? :D

I do now:mug:

Using, how shall I say it, makeshift (trying some PC out) all grain equip and my floating dairy therm my efficiency has been horrible...50%!? horrible or less... So upgrading have a 10 gall brewpot, a nearly completed HD water cooler mashtun and my brand spankin new therm will greatly improve my efficiency.

I do now:mug:

Using, how shall I say it, makeshift (trying some PC out) all grain equip and my floating dairy therm my efficiency has been horrible...50%!? horrible or less... So upgrading have a 10 gall brewpot, a nearly completed HD water cooler mashtun and my brand spankin new therm will greatly improve my efficiency.

Most of us started brewing near exactly the same way. The 10 gallon kettle was a good choice. That was one of my first major purchases as well and I still use it regularly. More than likely, a finer crush on the malt will bring your efficiency up considerably. You should be able to easily hit 60-70%. The temperature is important, but anything from mash temps up to mash out temps should give you decent run off. Something else is more likely the problem. Be sure you are measuring your weights and volumes accurately. IOW, you may be doing better than you think.

Back