Commercially Available Smoked Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat in WV

Reaction score
I have been reading about smoked porters and would be interested in trying one. At this point, I do not have the knowledge or equipment to do a full-grain which it appears would be required to homebrew a smoked porter.

Thanks!

Pat in WV said:
I have been reading about smoked porters and would be interested in trying one. At this point, I do not have the knowledge or equipment to do a full-grain which it appears would be required to homebrew a smoked porter.

Thanks!

While I have not had it myself, I hear that Alasking Brewing Co has a smoked porter that's quite tasty.

And you don't need all grain. Just do an extract with a dash of Liquid Smoke. :D

Alaskan Smoked Porter is pretty aggressively smoked - not bad, but it's really a rauchbier on top of a porter. If you like rauchbier, you'll like it.

Stone makes a smoked portert that I prefer, it's a lot more subtle. It uses a small amount of peated malt for its flavor and aroma. They are both incredible beers, but the Alaskan beer needs a bit of aging, I think. I have a couple bottles of the 2005 vintage that I need to sample.

Persoanlly, I would avoid the liquid smoke, learn to do a partial mash instead. You could either mash a couple pounds (andwhere from 2 to 5, I would think) or rauchmalt for the smoke flavor, or a VERY, VERY SMALL amount of peat malt (2 OUNCES). Liquid smoke isn't the same.

the_bird said:
Alaskan Smoked Porter is pretty aggressively smoked - not bad, but it's really a rauchbier on top of a porter. If you like rauchbier, you'll like it.

Stone makes a smoked portert that I prefer, it's a lot more subtle. It uses a small amount of peated malt for its flavor and aroma. They are both incredible beers, but the Alaskan beer needs a bit of aging, I think. I have a couple bottles of the 2005 vintage that I need to sample.

Hey Bird, where are you finding Alaskan's smoked? Even the largest distributors in my area can't get hold of it. :mad:

Does any recall last years Alaskan Smoked Porter? This years seems more smokey than last. Then again, I have been doing more "tasting" this year and my pallate has gotten better. ;)

I have two bottles of '05, so I can check for you ;)

This years' was the first I've tasted, and it struck me as pretty overwhelming. I'm not going to touch the other bottle of '06 for a year, I think this will definately benefit from some aging.

Yeah, I've got another bottle of '06 as well going into safe keeping. I just don't remember '05 being that smokey.

Gotta say that Stone's smoked porter is one of my favorite beers ever. If you haven't tried it get yourself some. Just a hint of smoke and nearly, but not quite, a stout.

Many smoked porters use Rauch and you need a lot of it, but 2 oz. of peat-smoked malt will give similar levels of smoke. It isn't exactly the same, but close. You could brew a porter and before bottling make a tea by steeping 2 oz. of peat in a pint of water. Bottle all but 2 gallons of the porter, add half of the tea, bottle another gallons worth. Add the rest of the tea and finish bottling.

That would give you three brews to compare.

I just sampled my smoked porter, which used 2oz of peat-smoked malt, and the smoke flavor was pretty much spot-on. The brew's got another issue, I should have held off a bit on some late hop additions (I'm an idiot), but I got the smoke right at least.

Latest posts

Back