Galvanized Washers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Ok, i have picked up all the stuff i need to add the spigot to my keggle. Then when i thought about it,i have galvanized washers that i will be using as a part of the spigot. The problem is that they will be on the inside of the HLT and the Mash Tun.

Will the zinc come off of the washers and get in the brew and create off flavors or anything?

Also, i have read that i need to soak my Brass ball valves in a peroxide/vinegar mixture. Is this true and if so, what is the mix 50/50?

Thanks

Reverend

Ok, forget the washer question, after about 10 phone calls i finally found a place that carrys SS washers up to 1".

But the other question is still up for debate. Do i need to soak the brass ball valve in a solution to get ride of lead that is on the surface?

Thanks Chairman

The article does not say if i have to clean the brass parts everytime i brew in the peroxide solution of if that is something that needs only be done the first time it is used.

Reverend JC said:
Thanks Chairman

The article does not say if i have to clean the brass parts everytime i brew in the peroxide solution of if that is something that needs only be done the first time it is used.

You only have to pickle the brass the first time.

Again, thank you good sir.

And Sause, i love pickles too. actually, pickled green beans that are spicy are nice:drunk:

Back