obvious examples of diacetyl (cuz I don't get it yet)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Diacetyl is clearly important in brewing since nearly every style or yeast contains a descriptor about diacetyl levels... but I don't get what a "buttery taste" is in beer (though I can clearly identify the difference between buttery and oakey chardonnay).

Are there examples of commercial brews that i can could taste that clearly demonstrate high and low diacetyl? Or any other suggestions on how to acclimate my taste buds for this?

Thanks

Diacetyl is the classic "buttered popcorn" or butterscotch flavor. In lower levels, it's simply a slickness or oiliness on the tongue but in larger amounts it's the butter flavor.

I think that Samuel Smith's beers have notes of diacetyl, but I've never had that brand so I can't say. I have had some diacetyl in homebrew, though!

In my experience, its hard to really know what any of the off flavors taste like until you actually taste them. I had no clue what diacetyl tasted like until I was at a brew pub and one of their beers was loaded with it. As soon as I tasted it I said to myself, "This has GOT to be that diacetyl flavor!" I didnt know what the band aide phenol taste was either until a few months ago when I had two batches that started tasting like that.

Oh, I didn't realize that diacetyl was always an off flavor - I thought it was a property that some yeasts had. Guess I need to read more about it.

Oh, I didn't realize that diacetyl was always an off flavor - I thought it was a property that some yeasts had. Guess I need to read more about it.

Oh, no, it's not always an off-flavor! I think it's perfectly acceptable in some beer styles, particularly some English styles. I've heard that ringwood yeast is a notorious diacetyl producer, but I've never used that strain.

In lagers and some other styles, it's considered an "off" flavor, though.

With all due respect, I offer the following although it is related but off topic.

Many members of the brew club I am involved with are interested in purchasing a training kit relating to off tastes of beer. Here is a link: http://www.flavoractiv.com/home/beer/beer.php?lang=en&page=tasterTrainEnt

I also do not know what the flavors are that I do not want. I do know that I taste something and do not like it, but to identify them is another story.

I actually wonder if the use of Nottingham is being blamed for an off taste I have gotten at times. it may be the yeast, and not an off taste. I dunno.

With all due respect, I offer the following although it is related but off topic.

Many members of the brew club I am involved with are interested in purchasing a training kit relating to off tastes of beer. Here is a link: http://www.flavoractiv.com/home/beer/beer.php?lang=en&page=tasterTrainEnt

I also do not know what the flavors are that I do not want. I do know that I taste something and do not like it, but to identify them is another story.

I actually wonder if the use of Nottingham is being blamed for an off taste I have gotten at times. it may be the yeast, and not an off taste. I dunno.

This looks really cool

If you want to doctor beer with diacetyl, it is cheaply and easily available as imitation butter extract at supermarkets.

See the BJCP exam study guide for a suggestion of how much to add.

Back