Brutus 5?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreebootersBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forums but thought I post some pics of my latest project the Brutus 5. I've been brewing all grain for a few years now and decided it's time to build a brew sculture. I really liked Lonnie's rig but I'm not really interested in making the move to 10 gallons, yet anyway. So I built the frame to the original size and the 10 gallon Blichmann Boilmakers fit nicely into the 12x12 spaces.

The frame is built and I'm almost done painting it....Hemi Orange! The burners/ASCO valves are ready to be mounted and the control panel is coming along. I'll post more pics as it comes together.

Cheers!

IMGP1935.jpg
IMGP1953.jpg
IMGP1967.jpg
IMGP1968.jpg
IMGP1970.jpg

Looking great, I almost went with a clear top control box too. Then i realized I didn't want anybody seeing my crappy wiring job.

keep us posted

Does anyone know what size threads I need for bolts to plug some tips on my jet burners. I have a sneaking suspicion that 23 tips is too much for 5 gallon batches :D

Your stand is coming along very nicely. Those 23 tip burners are difficult to get working properly. Have a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/23-tip-jet-burner-problems-102701/index2.html

FWIW, I had no problem getting mine to light properly.
I started using it as 23 jets, but it was too much for a 10 gallon batch. It would boil violently.

So I plugged all but 10 jets. Works great now, and it's almost too much for a 10 gallon batch. I might try plugging 2 more jets to see how it performs.

I find that there is a lack of adjustability. This burner works best when it's on full or off. As soon as I turn it partially on, I get yellow flames.

I think it's a great burner. It costs me about 25 cents to boil a 10 gallon batch as opposed to several dollars if I were to use propane.

Back