OK to secondary and store long term in non-AC basment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I really need the fermentation space in my swamp cooler right now, so the Abby needs to be racked. The only place I have to store the secondary (It really needs to clear before bottling) is in the basement, which isn't in the ac. Temperatures can reach the mid 80s at least there at times. Is this OK? This is where I bottle condition and that works out. Fermentation is complete.

BillTheSlink

I don't see any issues with that. I asked the same question last year at this time, and a few of the "regulars" on this board assured me that as long as primary fermentation is done, temps. don't matter too much. I've since fermented my beers in the low 60's, then let them sit at ambient room temps. anywheres from 65 to 75 (sometimes as high as the low 80's), and I have never noticed any flavor issues.

You ferment and bottle condition there.

But it is not ideal for long term storage. It won't kill you, but it will severely affect the length of time the beer will last

*this is comment from another post this morning*

Long term storage of beer at higher temperatures is bad. Dr. Charlie Banforth from UC Davis has done a lot of work on this, so this isn't my opinion.

For about every 10 degrees in temp increase the speed of a reaction roughly doubles. This is true not just for beer, but all chemical reactions. Temp increase will also accelerate good and bad reactions equally - unfortunately, most reactions that occur in packages beer over time will negatively affect flavour stability.

Anyway, don't sweat it. This shouldn't ruin your beer. But if you have the option of storing your beer for 1 year in a fridge, or 1 year in the garage at 80F - take the fridge.

Back