Temperature question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Octoberfest (ale) in primary now, it's been fermenting about 20 hours. We've suddenly got a heat wave, and it's almost 80 degrees in my kitchen. It's going to be getting warmer in the next few days, although it cools at night. The kitchen temp has gone from 69 to 79 degrees today. I know I can put the bucket in a cool water bath, but I have another choice- the basement. The basement is in the low 60s. If I move it to the basement, it's cooler but with no temperature fluctuation. The basement sure would be easier than a big cooler with water baths, if the temperature isn't too low.

I've used Nottingham dry yeast, and can't find the temp. range on the package.

What's the best thing to do?

Thanks,
Lorena

Nottingham can handle 60-75F without any problem, but cooler & stable is the way to bet. Put the fermentor in the basement and wrap an old blanket or two around it. The fermenting ale will generate some heat.

What's the projected ABV on the kit?

Starting s.g. was 1.046, and projected f.g. is 1.012 for an ABV of around 4.45 percent.

I know the basement temp is on the cool side, but it does not fluctuate at all.

Lorena

If I had a basement, I'd be brewing there. Where I live a basement would be a swimming pool 8 months of the year.

I LOVE my basement. I don't brew down there since I have a huge kitchen with a nice island and only do extracts. I'm hoping to do lagers this winter, since the pantry in the basement sits at 50 degrees and the rest of the basement is at 55 degrees. I think a large cooler, bucket, ice chest or something will allow me to do lagers. I'm hoping to score a small chest freezer before winter, and then I could add an external thermostat.

Thanks for your advice- the primary is now in the basement and all nice and cozy.

Lorena

Hey, it's an O'fest and you've plenty of time! Let her ferment nice and slow in those cool basement temps.

I was going to be heading to Florence, WI for the weekend to cut the grass and get some work done, but the forecast is to fickle!

Exo- Florence is right across the river from me (15 or 20 miles). In Yooper distances, that makes us neighbors!

We're going fishing today before the heat turns up. We haven't mowed our grass here in at least 3 weeks. No rain, and over 100 degree temperatures turned it into burnt straw. My 14 year old son has the job of mowing the grass, so he doesn't mind it at all. Fickle forecast or not- the fishing has been great.

Lorena

Cool! One of my favorite areas in the whole world up and down those wild rivers.

lorenae said:
Starting s.g. was 1.046, and projected f.g. is 1.012 for an ABV of around 4.45 percent.

SG for a decent Oktoberfest should be at least 1.060. And they supplied you with an ale yeast? I'd ask for my money back. Who's kit was this?

my s.g. was a little low, I'm not sure why- my target according to the recipe is 1.052-1.055. but it is an ale kit because I can't do lagers (due to temperature). So I wanted an ale yeast and used Nottingham. It's a Brewer's Best kit, using this recipe:

6.6 lbs light LME
8 oz Crystal malt 60L
4 oz Crystal malt 20L
1 oz Willamette (Bittering)
1 oz Hallertau (Finishing)

and of course the nottingham yeast.

I'd love to do lagers when I have the set up for it. In the meantime, I wanted something Oktoberfest-like. The wort smelled so good, almost like I could drink it right from the primary. I LOVE the smell of those hops!

My basement warmed up slightly because of the hot weather- my fermenter is at 66.2 degrees and steady. A "blurp" several times a minute. I think I'll do the secondary down there, too, since it's such a steady temperature.

By the way, I'm probably the only Yooper who HASN'T seen Escanaba in Da Moonlight. I hear it's a good movie, heh?

Lorena

Porter fan said:
Yup hard to beat the UP of Michigan!I live in the mitten.

A Uper!

Have you seen Escanaba in da Moonlight with Jeff Daniels? I took it with me on my annual ice fishing trip up on Lake of the Woods in Minnesota dontchaknow.

If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.

lorenae said:
I'd love to do lagers when I have the set up for it.

Lorena

I was wondering if you have given a thought to doing a "steam lager/pils"?

A standard grain bill for a lager, using lager yeast, but not lagering?

It is not a true lager, however, it has most of the desireable characteristics of a lager without the long, cold storage issues.

I have been making them for years and am very pleased with the results.

It is worth a thought IMHO.

Cheers,

knewshound

6.6# of Light LME and 12oz of grain are a bit low for getting above 1.060-ish. My O'fest used 9# of Light and 1# of grain and I got a 1.063. She slowed in primary and I transferred to secondary and have nearly a blow-off at 62deg...might have to do a 1-wk tertiary to ensure fermentation and resting periods are complete. This will be my "beer of the year".

I wouldn't fret it. It looks like it's gonna be a tasty brew..and the ferment temps are look great!

Escanaba in Da Moonlight you say? Ya Der Hey!

I guess I never thought of a steam beer- that might be exactly what I need. I had friends over tonight, and one is moving soon and might have a 10.2 cubic foot freezer for sale. I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not sure if it'll be suitable for lagers or not. I have no mechanical ability whatsoever, so I'm unable to change the basic set up. It either has to be right, or not. I admire the guys on the board who post pictures of their modifications of freezers/fridges/kegs.

But a steam beer might be just the ticket! Knewshound, do you have an extract/grain steeping recipe you could share to give me an idea of ingredients and temperatures?

Thanks to you who responded- I love this board.

Lorena
(who has had about 6 homebrews tonight and unable to spellcheck)

Ya der hey-

I guess I never thought of a steam beer- that might be exactly what I need. I had friends over tonight, and one is moving soon and might have a 10.2 cubic foot freezer for sale. I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not sure if it'll be suitable for lagers or not. I have no mechanical ability whatsoever, so I'm unable to change the basic set up. It either has to be right, or not. I admire the guys on the board who post pictures of their modifications of freezers/fridges/kegs.

But a steam beer might be just the ticket! Knewshound, do you have an extract/grain steeping recipe you could share to give me an idea of ingredients and temperatures?

Thanks to you who responded- I love this board.

Lorena
(who has had about 6 homebrews tonight and unable to spellcheck)

Cripes!!! A used freezer? If you don't want it, I will pick it up next trip to "Da' Nort' Woods!!". Seriously, if you decide you don't want it, let me know the interior spec's and the price.

By the way, sure am glad I visit 2miles south of the UP/WI border so I don't have to put up with those damn-cold UP winters!!! But seriously, I haven't seen a good snow up there since I was 12 or 13yrs old...and that was almost 20yrs ago... :(

Back