I don't own a filter/ know anybody close with one question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_brewer

Reaction score
I have a batch of whitish wine in the carboy. It is from a breezin kit, so it is basically a wine cooler, but I would still like it to look nice.

So... it has cleared really well so far. Lots of sediment at the bottom. I have no filter, and don't plan to get one, so I am just wondering if it is a good idea or a bad idea to rack it off the sediment and into a clean carboy, then give it another week or two before bottling, or leave it as is and bottle in a week or so.

Thoughts?

If you've already done the degassing and clarifying step, it should be pretty clear. My best friend does those kids, and all of hers have been crystal clear. Well, except for the Citrus Mango one- it was orange-ish and probably clear but too orange colored to really tell.

If it hasn't cleared after all of the degassing and clarifying, then I'd suggest using some Sparkelloid. That should get it clear.

to clarify... it is clear, just wondering about avoiding the transfer of sediment into the bottles I guess...

It was actually really clear after about 4 days. I had to go back and double check the day I clarified it.

It is kinda creepy how easy the darn kit was!

to clarify... it is clear, just wondering about avoiding the transfer of sediment into the bottles I guess...

It was actually really clear after about 4 days. I had to go back and double check the day I clarified it.

It is kinda creepy how easy the darn kit was!

I'd just rack to a bottling bucket, from above the lees. You will avoid the sediment that way. Those clarifiers seem to make the lees kind of mucky, so they don't stir up or disturb that easily. What I'd do is move the fermenter the night before you plan on racking, to allow it time to settle after you move it. Then, rack by starting with the siphon in the middle and lower it as the level of the wine lowers, until you are just above the lees. You shouldn't suck any lees that way, and still have clear wine.

I like to use a bottling bucket, since a siphon is harder to hold in place while bottling.

Back