kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_boc

Reaction score
I'm working on switching to all grain and am looking to buy a turkey fryer kit to handle the full boil. Is the 32 quart kettle large enough to boil the 7 gallons of water needed to brew?

I'm really trying to get this on a budget (having to save for a wedding at the moment) and I really can't see spending $200+ for a kettle and burner. Any suggestions?

I started with a 32 quart kettle. It works fine. I used a Dremel to make a mark at 7 gallons and another one at 5.75 gallons (that's when I drop in the immersion chiller). Just keep a spray bottle handy and you won't have boil overs.

Here it is in action.

[youtube]zoo5UvVr-AQ[/youtube]

Like Ed said it'll work but you'll have to watch it like a hawk. You'll get tired of watching it so closely and you'll eventually want a bigger pot.

I'd say a minimum of 9 gal. (36 qt.) 10 gal. (40 qt) is better.

It's cheaper in the long run to buy the right equipment the first time. Rather than just getting something cheap that you won't be happy with.

Hit your local Micro brew pups they sometimes have kegs that the valve is stripped or its dented to much . Friend picked 2 up last summer for 15 bucks each. Distributers too, they sometimes get kegs back that belong to brewery's that are not in business anymore.

Also try here http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38

they sell keggles and raw kegs at good prices. You could do the this for well under 200. turkey fryer 45 $ keggle 65 + shipping

morebeer4me said:
Hit your local Micro brew pups they sometimes have kegs that the valve is stripped or its dented to much . Friend picked 2 up last summer for 15 bucks each. Distributers too, they sometimes get kegs back that belong to brewery's that are not in business anymore.

Also try here http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38

they sell keggles and raw kegs at good prices. You could do the this for well under 200. turkey fryer 45 $ keggle 65 + shipping

I want to personally extend my thanks to you for sending me to that site! I just got a great deal on a 15.5 gallon keggle, and the last one too!

Cheers! :mug:

Back