Stc-1000 temp control instead of love control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Love controller and other PIDs have logic built into them to keep your system from overshooting your target temps. The stc 1000 is just a basic thermostat so you won't be able to control you temps precisely enough for brewing. They work fine for fermentation chambers though.

Thanks guys that's what I was afraid of. I really just wanted to try and be cost effective but if its going to cost more for better quality beer then I will just eat it.

Is the second pid 110v or 250v I'm confused and do the both have logic built in you guys are speaking of.

The cheap Chinese PIDs will work but they're typically not very user friendly. If you've never used a PID before, I'd recommend getting one from Auber Instruments. The extra $20 is worth it. I also like using RTDs rather than K-type thermocouples. They're less finicky and can be lengthened using standard wire.

I already purchased the ones with the k-coupler and I don't have much experience with pids but I'm pretty savvy. Am I going to survive with these? Can I attach those rtd xlr type connectors to a k coupler. I feel like I made a mistake and jumped the gun. I know this is probably a lot to ask but i have been scouring the internet for this build and greatly appreciate everyones help. The Pid and the Coupler is all i need to finish and in don't know what to get. I want to do this with the coupler http://www.2nobledogsbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Keggle-Tee.jpg I only spent 28 bucks on the pids and i will buy the better ones if need be, cause i would rather not cut corners to make better beer.

We use many thermocouples in industry and they are very reliable, you should have no issue there. Programming can be trial and error, but it should'nt be that bad. Sometimes the person who writes the manual is not proficient in english. I don't think this model can be used with an rtd.

After looking at the instructions, there is an input for an rtd, a thermocouple and an analog input. I guess you'll have to double check that when you receive it. It doesn't say that it is included.

The T-couples are fine. I just prefer the RTDs because it's easier to modify the lead lengths plus they come plenty long to begin with.

The 1/2 tee you're looking at looks like something a freind of mine uses. It requires a compression fitting adapter and an o-ring to seal the T-couple into the fitting. Another solution would be a 1/2 in thermowell in the same tee.

Asked the buyer on ebay and the pids i bought are k-type couplers. So is there any recommended 4in k-type couplers.

So i just got off the phone with Dave over at REX-intstruments. He said that their instruments are set to be ran at their part numbers so the rex-c100fk02-m-an is a thermocouple and can't be changed to anything else, and can't speak for anything bought on ebay, cause they are most likely fake.
Their REX-cb100 can be switched to tc/rtd, and again said maybe the knock off version I bought rex-cb100fk02 can, but he doesnt know that. Also said you can't really use REX-instruments manuals cause the terminals aren't even the same sometimes.

Well if they are real he said, you can't change that model to be rtd, its a k-type/thermo. Unless you send it back to the factory. If you are curious to know what he told me give them a call maybe you could get more out of it then me, being that I don't know as much as you. Otherwise I will wait til you get ours and see how it works for you.

Back