Please give me commercial examples of beers with lots of melanoidin flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am studying for the BJCP exam and would like to get a good handle on "melanoidin" aroma/flavor, as described for example in bocks.

The GM judge who is teaching our class said that although previously the #1 commercial example listed for 5C, Paulaner Salvator, used to have a very rich melanoidin flavor, he couldn't really taste it when we recently tried that beer in class.

So, I am looking to you, HBT to help me identify some alternate commercial beers I can pick up, which you have tried recently that exhibit this flavor. If at all possible I'd like it to be THE dominant aroma/flavor in the beer so as to be easier to identify and distinguish, but it doesn't have to be so long as it is easy to tell apart.

Looking at the other commercial examples listed for Doppelbock, I haven't been able to find Ayinger Celebrator recently, but I did pick up a bottle of Weihenstephaner Korbinian and have it in my fridge right now. Has anyone had this recently and can confirm/deny whether it has a rich melanoidin character? Another one that is easy to find is Spaten Optimator.

I am studying for the BJCP exam and would like to get a good handle on "melanoidin" aroma/flavor, as described for example in bocks.

The GM judge who is teaching our class said that although previously the #1 commercial example listed for 5C, Paulaner Salvator, used to have a very rich melanoidin flavor, he couldn't really taste it when we recently tried that beer in class.

So, I am looking to you, HBT to help me identify some alternate commercial beers I can pick up, which you have tried recently that exhibit this flavor. If at all possible I'd like it to be THE dominant aroma/flavor in the beer so as to be easier to identify and distinguish, but it doesn't have to be so long as it is easy to tell apart.

Looking at the other commercial examples listed for Doppelbock, I haven't been able to find Ayinger Celebrator recently, but I did pick up a bottle of Weihenstephaner Korbinian and have it in my fridge right now. Has anyone had this recently and can confirm/deny whether it has a rich melanoidin character? Another one that is easy to find is Spaten Optimator.

Korbinian is what I was going to recommend.

We just did bocks in our local BJCP class and I was saying that there is something about a 100% dark munich beer that is hard to put your finger on but strikes me as almost meaty. There is definitely toast and bread crust, but there is something else.

O-fests certainly have melanoiden flavor but it is more of the vienna maltish lighter toast and nutty type flavor. I think you are after the intense and I think Korbinian is a great example.

A darker eisbock (Kulmbacher) might be good too.

Just to get it out of the way, melanoidens are flavorless but I think we all know what we are talking about.

Back