What do you think of this weiss recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski82

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for my first AG. Apparently this should be a good one, but I have a couple of questions.

First, for the recipe:

6,5 gallons. OG = 1038. FG = 1010. Alcohol = 5,2% vol. 39 IBU.

1 lbs Munich Malt
4,5 lbs Wheat Malt
3 lbs Pale Malt

Mash
153F 60 minutes, 167F mashout 10 minutes

Hops

90 min. 0.5oz Perle 13% α
60 min. 1 oz Hallertauer 6,6% α
10 min. 0.3 oz Irish Moss
05 min. 0.5 oz Hallertauer 6,6% α

Yeast:Wyeast 3068 Weinstephan Wheat.

Primary : 59F for 6 days
Secondary: 59F for 7 days
In bottle for 7 days

First of all, I'm not too familiar with promash, and I tried making a recipe, and chose weissbier for style, and it said IBU 8-15, and this recipe calls for an IBU of 39, will this be a very bitter beer?

I also looked up the yeast used, as I thought the fermenting temp looked a bit low, and it says temp range 64-77F.

Any thoughts?

Where are you getting 5.8% abv from? An OG of 1.038 is only going to give you ~3.8%.

I agree with sause on the hops, and if you really want to make a traditional Hefeweizen then cut everything to one addition at 60m resulting in 12-15IBU. The hops in this style are really only to just balance the sweetness of the malt, but shouldn't come through in flavor/aroma.

The recipe looks good for a wheat, nice and simple. I agree whole heartedly with one addition @60. Although, I am feeling that it may fall in between a regular weiss and a dunkel? Not that it is a big deal, just curious what you are shooting for, but I guess if you are using Munich 10 the color won't be too noticeably different.

You are definitely abusing your yeast by fermenting it such a low tempertature.

If you are trying for a banana flavor then you need to be above 70F.

The only hop addition you need is at the 60 mins.

No Irish Moss or aroma hops are needed for the style.

And 7 days in the bottle will not be long enough.

I would agree with the above.

Hefeweizen is a very simple beer to make so don't overcomplicate it. Start off with 50/50 pale malt and wheat malt, along with around 12 IBUs bittering hops and nothing else. The yeast is good but ferment it around 22 degrees C for the fruity aromas.

Thanks for your input guys, I found the recipe on a brewers blog. Seems there might be a few flaws though as you have pointed out, his abv calculations are not correct , and it just seems a bit off in general.
The author wrote he had nothing but positive feedbacks on the brew, but I think I will try a modified version. About 15 IBU, no irish moss, maybe a bit more grain to bump up the OG to about 1.045-1.050, and longer fermentation @ about 70-75F.
We'll see how it turn out, hopefully it will be drinkable :drunk:

Back