Adjusting Poland Springs to Burton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brybarrett

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank everyone and all of the information that is contained within this forum. The wealth of knowledge is incredible. I am fairly a noob to brewing. I started back in November and have about 6 to 7 all-grain beers under my belt. I normally do 3 gallon batches, this is the most my stove is able boil. I brew pales and IPA's. My beers have been relatively good but i am now starting to critic my work a little more.

I have noticed that my beers have been missing some, depth, hop bitterness and well as overall hop aroma. I've never done any water correction in the past, not even used any 5.2. Well, that's about to change. I haven't had my tap water analyzed just yet, although I know it's relatively soft. So I have been using store bought spring water, Poland and other various brands.

I've been reviewing the water report for Poland and have come up with the following information:
Ca 4.4-7.7
Mg .91-1.2
Na 3.9-7.4
HCO3 6.7-20
CO3 6.6-30
SO4 2-5.8
CL 5.5-13
PH 5.9-6.8

Now, should I take the average for these figures or should I use the water profile (not sure how recent) listed within Beersmith for Poland Springs which is:

Ca 5.4
Mg 1.1
Na 3.5
SO4 2.5
Cl 1.9
HCO3 14.1
PH 6.02

Also, I have been playing with various water treatment calculators, which is the most accurate? I've tried Palmer's, Brew3.0, Beersmith and brewer's lair and they all seem to vary somewhat. For instance, Brewers lair gives me the following correction using the Beersmith profile and 4.5 gallons to treat:

Epsom Salts 4.48 grams
Baking Soda 2.24
Calcium chloride 2.24
Chalk 2.24
No canning salts or gypsum (strange as other calculators state I need this)

Sorry for the long post. Any help or assistance that this group can give me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bryan

Hi Bryan~ Was interested in the same thing and it turns out you're the only post. Anyone ever get back to you?

A lot of the calculators are different in slight ways, but I think the main reason the numbers come out different is they might have different definitions of "Burtonizing"

Try entering target values for the different minerals and see how it turns out then.

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank everyone and all of the information that is contained within this forum. The wealth of knowledge is incredible. I am fairly a noob to brewing. I started back in November and have about 6 to 7 all-grain beers under my belt. I normally do 3 gallon batches, this is the most my stove is able boil. I brew pales and IPA's. My beers have been relatively good but i am now starting to critic my work a little more.

I have noticed that my beers have been missing some, depth, hop bitterness and well as overall hop aroma. I've never done any water correction in the past, not even used any 5.2. Well, that's about to change. I haven't had my tap water analyzed just yet, although I know it's relatively soft. So I have been using store bought spring water, Poland and other various brands.

I've been reviewing the water report for Poland and have come up with the following information:
Ca 4.4-7.7
Mg .91-1.2
Na 3.9-7.4
HCO3 6.7-20
CO3 6.6-30
SO4 2-5.8
CL 5.5-13
PH 5.9-6.8

Now, should I take the average for these figures or should I use the water profile (not sure how recent) listed within Beersmith for Poland Springs which is:

Ca 5.4
Mg 1.1
Na 3.5
SO4 2.5
Cl 1.9
HCO3 14.1
PH 6.02

Also, I have been playing with various water treatment calculators, which is the most accurate? I've tried Palmer's, Brew3.0, Beersmith and brewer's lair and they all seem to vary somewhat. For instance, Brewers lair gives me the following correction using the Beersmith profile and 4.5 gallons to treat:

Epsom Salts 4.48 grams
Baking Soda 2.24
Calcium chloride 2.24
Chalk 2.24
No canning salts or gypsum (strange as other calculators state I need this)

Sorry for the long post. Any help or assistance that this group can give me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bryan

Something is not right. Burton water has lots of calcium and whopping amounts of sulphate and the way you bump up those numbers is by adding gypsum, calcium sulphate.

I think differences between the different software come down to a couple of things:

1) as Sedge said, different calculators have different definitions of "Burton" water.

2) Different software has different degrees of precision regarding the ppm concentration of each of the different brewing salts.

You'll definitely need gypsum to Burtonize water. I actually like the EZ water adjustment spreadsheet and JP's spreadsheets the best, because it's easy to see what's going on behind the scenes of the calculation.

Using the EZ spreadsheet, I calculate that you need the following salt adjustments to go from the Poland Springs "average" to JP's Burton profile of [352 24 44 16 820] (Ca Mg Na Cl SO4) for 4.5 gallons:

Chalk: 1.68g
Gypsum: 22.11g
CaCl2: 0.24g
Epsom: 3.96g
Baking Soda: 2.38g
NaCl: 0g

These salt additions will give a RA of -86 and a Cl:SO4 ratio of around 0.02.

Given that you have the Poland Springs ranges, I don't know that I would go with the Beersmith profile unless I knew why they had chosen those particular values over the average of the ion concentration ranges.

Back