Too much carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skerr

Reaction score
My brother and I have just bottled our second batch. Our first batch has been bottle for two weeks. We decided to try it (a bit premature I know) and when you open the bottles they foam over for about 5-10 min. Why is it doing this? Should we just let it age longer? Thanks

SKERR

Assuming you used a normal amount of priming sugar, then yes, you should leave them three weeks at least (and better four or five). And chill them before opening. Then you should be all good to go. :mug:

Impossible to give advice without more information. Were you at the proper FG when you bottled? How much priming sugar did you use? A few weeks ago, I opened a bottle of MW's Noble Trappist Ale that had only been in the bottle a few weeks (it had been in the secondary for two months), and wasn't really that cold. When poured, a few ounces foamed up to the top of a pint glass immediately. Now, some weeks later, and poured cold, it won't do that. I suspect that in my case, it was a bit young in the bottle when I did it, since I know that my FG was spot-on, and I just used the sugar (5 oz. of dextrose) that came with the kit.

5 to 10 minutes of foaming over? I suggest you fire up a stopwatch and discover that it's probaly less than a minute. Foaming over for 5-10 minutes would require GALLONS of beer.

Not true... heh, my buddy came over for a brew day a few weeks back, and brought at Gonzo Porter that he brewed 12 months ago... he said they were gushers... and he was not kidding. We popped them and they sat in the yard foaming over for a good 20 minutes... just a slow constant foam over... it was amazing. We were left with a half bottle of beer each.

Not true... heh, my buddy came over for a brew day a few weeks back, and brought at Gonzo Porter that he brewed 12 months ago... he said they were gushers... and he was not kidding. We popped them and they sat in the yard foaming over for a good 20 minutes... just a slow constant foam over... it was amazing. We were left with a half bottle of beer each.

Yep, I will confirm that sort of thing. I've seen it happen more than a few times while judging. Some bottles just keep on foaming over, slowly.

To OP, do like the others said: Give the bottles another week at room temperature and then (at least) an overnight chill.

TL

Back