How would you fix this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I need to use this as a BK but it won't sit flat until
It gets some "body" work. I tried a giant pipe wrench an couldn't do much. I tried two different car jacks and could get leverage. I don't want to cut it off or use it upside down. Who could
Fix this?

image-986311077.jpg

1. Put it on a level surface.
2. Put a bubble level on it.
3. Shim it until it is level. Mark where your shims were placed.
4. Measure the shims, get some metal the same measurement as your shim and weld it where you marked it.
Too easy and fun.:rockin:

I had a similar problem. My keggle wouldn't sit steady on the burner. I just took 2 strips of metal (2" x 6", 16 guage) and welded them underneath on the outer portion. Kinda' like rails. When I get home I can take a picture and upload it. Now my keggle sits firmly on the burner.

Man, that looks like more work than it's worth. Since your top rim is flat on the ground, rather than fixing the bottom rim, why not go for a bottom-draining tri-clamp arrangement?

I know this doesn't really help in your situation, but I have one of those Home Depot round top turkey fryers and my keg bottom is similarly smashed in at the bottom. Fortunately, when I place the keggle on the burner it just sits on the dome and never even touches the skirt.

use it for a deposit and buy something you can stand to drink and throw a party! When the new one is gone presto problem solved..

Just Saying :mug:

I know this doesn't really help in your situation, but I have one of those Home Depot round top turkey fryers and my keg bottom is similarly smashed in at the bottom. Fortunately, when I place the keggle on the burner it just sits on the dome and never even touches the skirt.

you could use this and build some kind of skirt so the keg rests on the dome part

michaeltrego said:
Man, that looks like more work than it's worth. Since your top rim is flat on the ground, rather than fixing the bottom rim, why not go for a bottom-draining tri-clamp arrangement?

Can triclamp handle direct fire from a burner?

Can triclamp handle direct fire from a burner?

Yes, they're made of thicker stainless than the keg, and the liquid in the plumbing keeps the gasket relatively cool. There are many brewers on here (myself included) that use inverted keggles and bottom drain from them. I think it's a good way to go for the HLT and MLT since it means zero dead space.

I have repaired kegs in about the same condition, the trick with the pipe wrench is to try to unroll the rim bead, then use it to straighten the sides. For the deepest dent, saw through the rolled section and then use the wrench to roll the rim back into shape a bit at a time while moving around the rim.

Take it to your local fire department (and bring some ice cream with you) and ask them if they can use the "jaws" tool to spread the dented skirt out. It wont come out perfect but it'll be alot better.

Don't know how much you want to spend,but this burner stand I got from home depot I Thanksgiving fits my keg Very snug, it wont move

ForumRunner_20120317_100659.jpg

ForumRunner_20120317_100849.jpg

kladue said:
I have repaired kegs in about the same condition, the trick with the pipe wrench is to try to unroll the rim bead, then use it to straighten the sides. For the deepest dent, saw through the rolled section and then use the wrench to roll the rim back into shape a bit at a time while moving around the rim.

Thanx kladue I'm gonna try that

Thanx kladue I'm gonna try that

how did you make out?

I have your keg's twin brother, and need to straighten that out. Funny thing is, my skirt is smooshed down almost perfectly flat 80% around, so I have tried bending the rest down and cannot get it to budge.

Ive tried the largest pipe wrench I have an i got some edges to move, but WOW these MoFo's are strong. Gonna try a body shop and see how a little Cash will fly on this.. report back

Latest posts

Back