Belgian Strong for 2nd AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
So here's the deal:

My 1st AG was a group brew 6 months ago, and I'd like to brew a Belgian Strong recipe with 3 mash temps.
Before I download Brewsmith and order the kit, can the software handle 3 temps, and is this a realistic brew, or should I choose another recipe?

Thanks!

By 3 mash temps, do you mean a step mash? Because you really don't need a step mash for a Belgian Strong Ale. Grain bills are fairly simple, usually 85-90% Belgian pils+10-15% cane sugar, a little bit of hops and that's it! A step mash would be too much work for a beer like this and might harm the head retention. May I suggest a hefe or a wit? You could use some unmalted or flaked wheat and do a protein rest followed by a sacch rest and a mash out.

All I'm saying is, if I was to use that mash schedule, I would use it on a beer that would benefit more from it. A Belgian Strong won't really benefit, I don't think it will harm it either, but that mash would be nice on a wit or hefe. Why go through the extra mash steps to brew a Belgian Strong, when you don't need to?

Iordz said:
All I'm saying is, if I was to use that mash schedule, I would use it on a beer that would benefit more from it. A Belgian Strong won't really benefit, I don't think it will harm it either, but that mash would be nice on a wit or hefe. Why go through the extra mash steps to brew a Belgian Strong, when you don't need to?

Duvel actually use a similar mash schedule but the max temperature should be lower than 170F.

Protein rests are common anytime you use Pils since most continental pils malts are undermodified. I think bigger problem here is that if this is your second all grain and the first one was over 6 months ago, that you are bitting off more than you can chew so to say.

I would suggest that you brew several batches of easy AG recipes first to get your procedure down and dial in your efficiency so you know what to expect when you take on a bigger beer. Take a look at Edworts Haus Pale. That is an easy recipe with a single infusion mash.

You could certainly try the Belgian Strong, but with multiple rests doing infusions to raise the temp, it is going to require a lot of attention to detail. More so than an easier recipe might take. You may do fine, then again, you may have a ton of issues and not get your desired results. Just my 2 cents.

I'd want to have more confidence in my AG brewing before tackling something as complicated as you describe.
First make sure you can do a single infusion with a moderate beer.
Then either add a second step or do a larger beer. Both things complicate the process some.
The beer you are talking about is a very large beer and you are talking multiple steps. If you are not confident with the basics and can produce consistent results you are setting yourself up for a lot if difficultly and possible failure.
If you want to brew a Belgian Strong Ale, I would suggest doing a single infusion with about 12-13# of grain and make up the difference with DME. Next time you can add some more complications if you feel everything went well.
Craig

That what I was afraid of.
OK, I'll put this one on the back burner for awhile and work my way up to it.

Thanks for the advice!

Back