MD Bulk grain buy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.northcountrymalt.com/files/PDF/2007Catalog.pdf

There is the catalogue.

A palate shipped to the DC area of MD is 136$ (40 bags) so shipping is reasonable, as long as you get a ton (you could do a palate of 30... but it is stil 136$)

by bag the shipping was a like 20$ so F that.

now here is the catch.... we need a loading dock.... anyone got one handy?

Do they actually require a loading dock or do they offer to charge more for a liftgate? Or could we just be men about it and unload it by hand without the liftgate or loading dock if they would let us.

And I think I remember hearing sometime that they have a different price list for wholesale prices that isnt on the internet. I could be wrong but I just vaguley remember seeing that somewhere.

What kind of malt are you planning on buying? I may need to replenish some stock sooner than later. MDHB is still a driveable distance for me.

If this comes together, I'd be in for a sack or two of MO and a sack of Pilsen.

Data, I asked and they said if you wanted a palate (only way it makes sense) you needed a business place ot have it delivered too... I ske3d just a loading dock? and she said, a business with a loading dock.. so whatever that means. I was thinking a bunch of dudes could unload it pretty quick! you are free to call and ask them questions!

I'll try and find the thread that I read they would just charge more for a liftgate and ill probably give them a call.

Ok, I knew I saw it around here somewhere. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Having just done this in October, you get up to 42 bags per pallet, it will cost somewhere around $1700 and end up averaging $.55 / lb with freight. You can look at the spreadsheet I made to manage our orders to get some ideas. I had to get a truck with liftgate as I didn't have a dock and I bought more grain than anyone else, I couldn't transport it all in one trip. That added to the cost of freight, if you have access to a dock it will save quite a bit. Its really worth it, we'll be doing it again once the group starts running out of grain. Not to mention, how cool it is to have a huge a$$ pallet of grain in your garage. :D I ordered from North Country Malt in NY, I think they have a distro in the midwest somewhere as well. Ignore the homebrewer pricing, call and talk to them about ordering a pallet to get the bulk pricing. They sell hops too, but in 44lb blocks for about $900 each. =P They also have additives and cleansers, etc, we got some star san.

- HomeBrewTalk Gallery

http://packetpimp.org/grainbuy.html

North Country Malt Supply

Also, would there be any interest in splitting sacks of Munich, Vienna, wheat and rye? When Bobby_M organized the NJ buy earlier this year, he was doing 5 lb splits. Just a thought. ;)

Reading through this thread this is what I have so far.

Username
# of bags
------------
Flyangler18
1-2
Yunus
Skins Brew
Fire Brewer
----------------------------------
Total so far 6-7

Also anyone have a timeframe for this buy? I just got my barley crusher and I'm wanting to use it.

Yunus,

This thought just crossed my mind. Have you ever contacted Flying Dog about purchasing malt from/through them? They may established contacts with North Country and other maltsters.

Jason

Ok, I just called them and I think this is what we need to be looking at Price List. You need to look under the 1000# column and those prices are by pound and it looks like they are all 55 pound bags so just multiple that by 55 and thats the cost per bage. Shipping is 126 per pallet and an extra 75 for the lift gate. There is 42 bags per pallet so this adds $4.78 to each bag. Now for example (making sure the accountant here can follow all this :) ) Bairds Marris Otter is .70 per pound so that is .70x55=38.50+4.78 so its 43.28 per bag!

They also have hops too if anyone wants to do that. Hops

Oh also, I will go ahead and take care of keeping track of everything and whatnot but I am not going to be the one to put the order in and be in charge of all of the money.... someone else can take care of that.

Oh also, I will go ahead and take care of keeping track of everything and whatnot but I am not going to be the one to put the order in and be in charge of all of the money.... someone else can take care of that.

ill take the cahrges when it come to it..... you shoudl set up a google spreadsheet! ill probably do 7-8 bags

I dont know anything about google spreadsheet but i'll figure it out and get something together once we get an idea of what kinds people will want

Username
# of bags
------------
Flyangler18
1-2
Yunus
Skins Brew
Fire Brewer
claphamsa
----------------------------------
Total so far 13-14

lets get everyone counting their bags, and once we get 40+ we can say what we want, but it gonna be a lot of 2 row and marris otter!

Hi guys remember me?

I'd love to get in on this bulk buy and try to brew again with everyone.

Just a comment, do we need to have a full 42 bags for an order? It should cost $201 per pallet if we have 1 or 42, right? It just makes the price a little different. But keep in mind that 55lb bags from MDHB are between $50-70.

Cheers,
Dave

Then the cost of shipping per page would increase and I think that the cost of each bag would increase to because in order to get the bulk discount we need a full pallet.

good to know!

Data I got the spreadsheet from packerpimp, but its in open office, and i dont want to download new stuff :)

if it's a .ods you don't need open office just upload it to google docs. Or we can just make one its pretty straight forward.

Having done this, I might be able to give you some advice.

First, the lift gate charge is actually more to do with the potential of juggling pallets on the truck. While they try to organize pickups/deliveries so they can do last on/first off, it doesn't always work out. Can you imagine showing up to some guy's driveway and having 4 pallets on the rear of the truck blocking the one that you're getting? It's not as simple as having 4 guys unload the malt off a pickup truck. That's why they prefer a loading dock. It's a time=money thing.

The pallet shipping charge applies whether you have 4 sacks on it or 42 (max) so yes, the price per sack goes down the more you have on there. However, if you're organizing the thing, don't let the participants nickel and dime you on the shipping. I had some people griping over $1 here and there when another sack got added when you're saving people $20+ per sack. Also, don't let people place their order contingent upon a certain shipping price discount. Just set a minimum that's worth it to you like "this buy will happen if we get at least 20 sacks and the shipping per sack will be at most $10". If you're taking money upfront, assume a higher shipping cost and then just refund when they pick up if you had a fuller pallet.

Even though NCM has like 100 different malt varieties, it would save you some headache by just picking a MO, Pils, Wheat, and generic 2-row and sticking with that. There's little difference between TF and Bairds, etc or at least not enough to justify having to sort out multiple types of the same malt.

I did get a sack each of various crystals, munich, and vienna and broke them down into 1 gallon ziplocks. 5lbs = $5. Saves everyone money of course but be prepared to be stuck with a few pounds of various things.

The pallet pricing is the wholesale #1000 column. Multiply the per pound price by 55 for the full sack.

as to the splitting of grains.. if we get like 10 people we might be abel to do that, but it would have to be a fairly big group....

Back