Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Just went to rack my AHS Pumpkin Ale to the keg and it had a funny look to it. Over the weekend my brother helped me brew a Hefeweizen and i noticed that he took the top off of the pumpkin ale and didn't put it back. Top was off for maybe 2 hours. The top of the beer has some white film on top with white stringy lines and some white bubbles and chunks. Haven't seen anything like it before. I smelled it and it has a very very strong chemical smell to it. So what do you all think? Infected? I have a hard time taking pics and getting them on the computer but i will try (can't promise anything though). Thanks in advance for the help!

That is why you should kill your brothers young!

This is also why I tell people to leave the damn air lock in the hole...and leave the lid on the bucket! YOU DON"T NEED TO SEE IN THERE FOR IT TO WORK!

I'd say you could go ahead and rack and give it some time...the pumpkin is bound to produce some serious funk for a while.

2 hours . . . unless something dropped in there, I would have thought the CO2 blanket would have kept the beer ok? Assuming it wasn't being disturbed enough to shift the CO2 blanket.

Well, i took a pic but can't get it to my computer. I didn't use real pumpkin. It was the AHS Pumpkin Ale kit and i was thinking about using real pumpkin but am planning on doing that next time so this one just has the spices in it. Anyways, i tried a sample of the beer and it tastes fine so i'm kinda less worried. While i was racking it to the keg though there was a chalky white residue left behind that stuck to the sides of the carboy. And the chemical smell i was trying to describe earlier i guess could be further described as more acetic than anything. I am pissed at the fact that my bro left the top off of the carboy and pissed at the fact that me messed with my beer without me being there. Anyways, i'm hoping it's not infected and if it was i saved it. Only time will tell!

Back