Oklahoma Only Brewers Group on the HBT!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Prairie is having a tasting night at Tapwerks on Feb 27th.

Craft beer lovers, this is your chance to taste the finest brews from Prairie Artisan Ales, all in one place, on one special night!

Beers on tap will include:

Pirate Bomb
Bomb!
Prairie Noir
Vanilla Noir
Pirate Noir
Prairie Ale
Prairie Gold
Funky Galaxy
Birra
The Beer That Saved Christmas

Plus a few special surprises!

Praire Artisan Ales owners, Chase and Colin Healey will be on hand for this one-of-a-kind event. Don't miss it!

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/65688/

Sounds like a blast!

Thanks for the heads up Nompton. Was also impressed by the Prairie Noir and Vanilla Noir.

Anytime. Looks like it's dropping tomorrow in OKC. Sean's will have it, ~$65/ case. They'll have 55 cases.

Really hope Vanilla Noir isn't a "one and done" like all of the rest of their rotations. I have one bottle left I'm cellaring... but it may not last long.

It looks like Prairie is having a tasting night at Tapwerks on Feb 27th.

Craft beer lovers, this is your chance to taste the finest brews from Prairie Artisan Ales, all in one place, on one special night!

Beers on tap will include:

Pirate Bomb
Bomb!
Prairie Noir
Vanilla Noir
Pirate Noir
Prairie Ale
Prairie Gold
Funky Galaxy
Birra
The Beer That Saved Christmas

Plus a few special surprises!

Praire Artisan Ales owners, Chase and Colin Healey will be on hand for this one-of-a-kind event. Don't miss it!

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/65688/

Sounds like a blast!

I will be there. Hope they have flights. :fro:

Just picked up 6 Bomb! bottles! Got them in Norman. The Spirit Shop had 20 cases [12 to a case], and in the time I was there- at opening- 3 and a half cases were sold to the first 4 people.
Cheers!

bomb.jpg

I picked up two at the Cellar and have four waiting for me at Broadway Wine Merchants. Debating buying more until Prairie rerelease Pirate Bomb! Later this year.

Regardless, I'm still going to try to clone this beer soon.

Just checking in with everyone, who all is going to Prairie's Tap-Takeover at Tapwerks this Thursday?

I plan to be there to try some Pirate Bomb!, Spectrum, and Bible Belt Collabo.

Anyone else manage to get their hands on some Spectrum? I found one bottle at Corkscrew in Norman. Only 40 cases were allotted to OK, 62 to Cali.

I am moving to Edmond this month and have been brewing for 6 years. I am doing all grain and have been using a tier system but jue had a side by side made. Anyways, trying to determine the best place to go for supplies. I see on Google there is 'The Brew Shop' and "learn to brew' in OKC. Who has the best selection of ingredients?

Also, I plan on selling my 3-tier stainless steel stand if anyone in looking for a stand.

I am moving to Edmond this month and have been brewing for 6 years. I am doing all grain and have been using a tier system but jue had a side by side made. Anyways, trying to determine the best place to go for supplies. I see on Google there is 'The Brew Shop' and "learn to brew' in OKC. Who has the best selection of ingredients?

Also, I plan on selling my 3-tier stainless steel stand if anyone in looking for a stand.

I've only been to Learn to Brew once, they're ok. But I really prefer the Brew Shop. Gail has really worked to provide a decent selection of supplies for the OKC home-brewing market. Plus, she's a real joy to work with; always pleasant and helpful.

Oh - Welcome to the area too!

Hey Murphy

I'm also in Edmond (North of Waterloo off of Sooner) and I just fired up my new electric RIMS system. Let me know if you want to be beer buddies :mug:. As far as your question goes, I haven't had issues with picking up ingredients at either place. Learn to Brew just opened a new store on North May by the Ted's restaurant over there and it is on the way home, but I can hit up The Brew shop over the lunch hour so they get about an even split of my business.

I have gone to both stores and really like both of them. I tend to mostly go to the learn to brew shop on may as it is just about down the street from my house.

I love highgravity in Tulsa, but I wish they were easier to get to. Is there anywhere else in Tulsa to get grain closer to downtown?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey Murphy

I'm also in Edmond (North of Waterloo off of Sooner) and I just fired up my new electric RIMS system. Let me know if you want to be beer buddies :mug:. As far as your question goes, I haven't had issues with picking up ingredients at either place. Learn to Brew just opened a new store on North May by the Ted's restaurant over there and it is on the way home, but I can hit up The Brew shop over the lunch hour so they get about an even split of my business.

So I definitely have questions: are you on Logan Country Rural Water District #1 water? If so, what do you do with filtering, softening, etc? I have never had hard water before and I did none of that in Georgia and always had perfect brews. I made my first two batches and so far am having some troubles.....I want to share GOOD QUALITY homebrew not the junk I have made in OK so far.....

I'm on Edmonds water and even then I don't treat most of the time. If I'm doing a lighter beer with not a lot of hop profile, I sometimes will bring to a boil and cover to keep the air out while it cools overnight to drop some temporary hardness out if it. If I'm doing anything brown, it works great as is with a simple charcoal filtration. You can smell the chlorine from the tap. Might try the pre boil thing and see how much falls out. Just treat it like trub and avoid as much as you can when emptying your kettle the day after. It has to be covered before the cool down to avoid air or the stuff will recombine. If that doesn't work you can buy RO.

I am on Logan Co Rural water 1. We have a whole house filter and softener through Rainsoft. This is a salt system, so the results from a recent water test were as expected.

Edit: THe PDF won't attach... so here are the results of what I got.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 360
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.60
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.8 / 6.2
ppm

Sodium, Na 128
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 2
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 9
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 3
Chloride, Cl 11
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 351
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 289
Total Phosphorus, P 0.02
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

I am on Logan Co Rural water 1. We have a whole house filter and softener through Rainsoft. This is a salt system, so the results from a recent water test were as expected.

Edit: THe PDF won't attach... so here are the results of what I got.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 360
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.60
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.8 / 6.2
ppm

Sodium, Na 128
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 2
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 9
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 3
Chloride, Cl 11
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 351
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 289
Total Phosphorus, P 0.02
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

How do your beers turn out with the water filtration vs without? Also, are you septic? I was told by the septic guy to not put a water softener because it wasn't good for the system.....

I am on septic and haven't had any issues so far, but I have only had the treatment system for a year or so. On the last brew, I split the water between faucet and RO to pretty much level it out. I'm still trying to figure out the chemistry behind it, but the one I made before this (20lb 2 Row and 4oz Willamette SMaSH) turned out pretty well. From what I have read, my water chemistry is more suited for dark beer straight away.

Anyone have a 15.5 gallon keg from Coop Ale they are willing to sell? I like there's because their name is stamped into the top rim.

Hey everyone! I will be moving to Norman in about a week. I just thought I would introduce myself and see what the home brewing scene is like in Oklahoma. And who knows maybe I'll end up meeting some of you in the future :mug:

Wombatfarms- I bet if you went up there to their brewery they would sell you one. JD is a really nice guy.

Matt - I'll have to go try that. They are just around the corner from me.

How many people on here are living in the Tulsa area?

I am about half way between Tulsa and OKC & I can't justify a 120-140 mile round trip to buy supplies so I order off the internet, never had a problem. Sure would like to have a local brew shop close though. :mug:

Just wanted to say hello to you guys .......I live here in Warr Acres and have only been brewing for about a year now. Its a hobby I wish I could do every single day. Ive got a Hoppy Amber Ale in the fermenter and a pilsner lagering. Not too sure about the Pilsner as it is my first one.

Hi back. I have a hopped up amber as well with citra and galaxy that's mighty tasty. I wish I could brew at least every other day. What do you do with your water? I live in Yukon which I believe draws water from Overholser and from what I understand is the worst of the four wells in the city. At least it's not Norman water...I suppose it could be worse.

Hey, i'm in OKC (Baptist Hospital area) I also wish I could brew every day! I use distilled water and add back minerals b/c I had a hard time figuring out where my water was coming from and it seems it doesn't always come from the same place. Do you guys get your supplies at the Brew Shop or Learn to Brew I've used both but more often then not I end up going to the Brew Shop it's a bit closer... I'm not sure who's prices are better.

I normally use Learn to Brew. But they both are pretty good. The Hops I think are better from LTB for the simple fact I don't know how they keep their bulk hops at the brew shop since they bag their own, and at LTB they are sealed direct from the Hop Union or BSG. Also they seem to have more stuff at LTB, but then agian I've found certain malts at the Brew Shop that LTB doesn't have.

See attached.

The problem I had was when I contacted the water company a bit more than a year ago they told me my water was a blend of Overholser and Draper.... they said it would normally be a mix from Overholser and Hefner i think but that Hefner was not supplying water at that time b/c the lake was low.... So it does change from lake to lake and even if it didn't i don't know that the mineral levels are constant so for me it's easier just to use distilled or RO

When you boil doesnt that take alot of the harsher stuff out? I need to learn more about water chemistry. I might just go back to using bottled water.

Boiling can remove temporary hardness, but not permanent hardness. I mentioned earlier about pre-boiling and letting cool with a atmospheric blocking lid to persipitate out some solids, but this only works on some of the stuff you want out. RO is the best bet and add chemical to get your wanted profile for specifics. Otherwise, do the pre-boiling trick and send that sample in to see if that works for your tap profile. I'm in Edmond and use a simple charcoal filtration for darker beers. Otherwise, I use RO.

The problem I had was when I contacted the water company a bit more than a year ago they told me my water was a blend of Overholser and Draper.... they said it would normally be a mix from Overholser and Hefner i think but that Hefner was not supplying water at that time b/c the lake was low.... So it does change from lake to lake and even if it didn't i don't know that the mineral levels are constant so for me it's easier just to use distilled or RO

I could be wrong but I would suspect that the water goes from one lake to another in it's raw form. Just like we, at hefner, get raw water from Overholser, Draper, and Canton (when the fuggin Gallardia asholes can't be bothered to not water their lawns despite being able to walk to the middle of hefner without getting wet). But the from the tap profile is solid as reported.

The mineral profiles do change, pretty drastically for Hefner at least, month to month.

So would Ozarka bottled water be better than our tap water. And where do you get a water profile done?

I either use distilled water which is different than drinking water as it has all of the minerals removed or RO water (reverse osmosis) witch also has practically no mineral content. I get distilled at practically any store or RO at one of those glacier water machines around town. Then I use a calculator like this to rebuild a water profile with different mineral salts to suit whatever it is I am brewing. I've heard a lot of people just filter the water out of the tap and go with it around here though, & the general saying goes if it tastes good out of the tap brew with it. If you are interested in water chemistry to help improve your beers and would like to get your water tested you can send it here to get it tested. Hope this helps :mug:

Hey guys, just introducing myself. I haven't brewed in almost two years because I said I wasn't going to brew again until I got a keg system setup. I quickly got sick of bottling. So anyway, I just bought a 7-cu ft freezer today and am going to start working on a Keezer because I am REALLY wanting to get back to brewing.

I'm pretty sure my profile says so, but I'm down in Newcastle.

New to brewing, still doing extract brews. Starting to experiment a little more. Enjoy reading, finding out what has and hasn't worked out with others. Every brew is a new adventure. Brewing in Okmulgee, south of Tulsa

Back