Hops Direct just put up 2012 Crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best example that I recently bought is magic hats stout... just over hopped and bitter.. to make it worse they did it to a stout

:off: we are veering off the original topic here but I have to agree that there is a new breed of beercraft out there designed to cram IBU's in for bragging points. This is personal taste only, but two I have had recently that were overpowering were Deviant Dale's IPA and Founders Centennial IPA. I'll probably get my head blown off for saying an IPA has too much hops, but these beers were not pleasant to drink. In fact, I didn't drink them. They're still in my fridge. Maybe it's the hops used, I love hop-forward beers. I am not shy about using hops. But I like the end result to be something I want repeat servings of, not something where I dread having to finish a 5 gallon batch.

I'm not insulting your religion or peeing on your diety.

As a practicing hoppist, yes, yes you did insult my religion. I mean, I'm not going to demand you be beheaded for insulting the one true god or anything like that, but still.

I'm NOT against hop forward beers, I'm against BAD beer.

That's a pretty bold statement. By all means, there are some really awful examples of hoppy beers that are just mindless bitterness without anything else, but to equate beers that don't specifically appeal to YOU with outright bad beers is more than a bit arrogant.

If you think im wrong go to a craft store and pick up a selection of beers you havent tried before, most of them will go down the sink

Beg pardon? Again, pretty bold and arrogant statement. You know this really isn't a point in your favor right?

:off: we are veering off the original topic here but I have to agree that there is a new breed of beercraft out there designed to cram IBU's in for bragging points. This is personal taste only, but two I have had recently that were overpowering were Deviant Dale's IPA and Founders Centennial IPA.

Please send the Founder's to my attention and I'll make sure they're disposed of properly! :drunk: Just had that for the first time recently and I liked it much better than Two Hearted even though they are similar.

Care to share your amarillo recipes? I have some that I've been meaning to use.

I need to load up some of them into my sig and will do that. In the meantime, if you search some of my posts I've put a few out there. Definitely the Gumball, the Amarillo SMASH, and a hoppy red that used mostly Amarillo. The red was meant to be similar to 3 Floyd's Brian Boru. All 3 were excellent.

This is personal taste only, but two I have had recently that were overpowering were Deviant Dale's IPA and Founders Centennial IPA.

FYI, Deviant Dale's should not be considered an IPA. It follows Oskar Blues' trend to understate the style. It IS a DIPA. Major buttload of Columbus dry hops.

If consumed fresh, it is amazing. Anything over a month in the can and it goes off balance. Gubna, from the same brewery, is single hopped with Summit and I, personally, feel it is too single dimensional.

The history of Citra is explained in this article from "Imbibe":

"Secret Citra
Since most brewers have access to the same hops, having the means to create a proprietary variety with uncommon aromatic and bittering qualities can pay delicious dividends. A few years ago, the brewers at Sierra Nevada were aflutter over hop variety 394. In conjunction with Deschutes and Widmer Brothers, Sierra Nevada helped finance the research and development of this strain with a strange flavor profile—a hard-to-pin mix of citrus, mango and papaya. “There’s even something strangely Southeast Asian about the hop,” says Sierra Nevada’s Bill Manley. “This was one of the most promising hops we’d seen in some time.”

Sierra’s brewers played around with 394, polishing and tweaking recipes to serve as the novel hop’s coming-out party. By late 2008, Sierra Nevada had its eureka moment. The tropical 394, christened Citra, would drive the flavor of the Torpedo Extra IPA. When it was released in early 2009, it was Sierra’s first addition to its year-round lineup since 1992.

If that sounds like a lot of time and research to spend on developing a beer for a single hop strain, it is. But unlike small brewpubs or microbreweries, Sierra Nevada and other larger brewers are uniquely positioned to do the time-consuming legwork. “We have labs and a researcher with a background in hop compounds,” says Manley. “Smaller craft brewers would just have to buy a lot of hops and hope for the best.”

Since Sierra Nevada cracked the seal on Citra, other brewers have quickly adopted the hop. Widmer Brothers recently released its golden Sunburn Summer Brew, while Deschutes used Citra in its Hop in the Dark black IPA. In Madison, Wis., Ale Asylum’s Bedlam! mixes Trappist yeast with Citra, while Flying Fish’s Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA is generously dosed with Citra. With the word out, now amateur brewers are clamoring to experiment with the trademarked hop. “We get frequent requests from homebrewers asking where to find Citra,” Manley says. “It just takes somebody to break the ice.”
"

IPAs are just a gateway to appreciating the more subtle styles and flavors of beer. Most people are enticed by the citrus and tropical flavors of new wave IPAs but at some point you get bored with those flavors luckily there are porters, stouts, milds, lagers, etc

I went full circle and got back into IPAs a few years back but unless the beer is a seasonal or at a brewpub or clearly marked fresh I'm not paying $15 no matter how hyped it is.

I don't drink beer and wine or eat food for subtlety. I want in your face flavor.

Xpertskir said:
I don't drink beer and wine or eat food for subtlety. I want in your face flavor.

How long have you been drinking craft beer?

In seeing some of the negative comments (mostly on facebook) about issues trying to buy citra and amarillo I just got to thinking about how lucky we are that hops direct sells to us at all. Really, they're a farm not a homebrew shop, and I'd imagine that the hassle of selling buy the pound isn't outweighed by the revenue. They sell hops at a fraction of retail and have a pretty generous notion of a pound. I think that makes up for much of the limited supply or website issues, especially for the varieties they don't grow on site, like citra and amarillo. So even though I lost my amarillo after adding it to my cart I still send a big thanks to hops direct.

Oh and if you missed out on these I'm sure you'll find them at full retail eventually.

They sell hops at a fraction of retail

They also don't have many of the associated costs of retail; I'm assuming their profit margins aren't exactly awful. Also keep in mind they sell single pound orders to homebrewers for a hell of a lot more than spot or contract prices would be per pound for a brewery.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, I still <3 hopsdirect. Just sayin' on that one point.

pohldogg said:
In seeing some of the negative comments (mostly on facebook) about issues trying to buy citra and amarillo I just got to thinking about how lucky we are that hops direct sells to us at all. Really, they're a farm not a homebrew shop, and I'd imagine that the hassle of selling buy the pound isn't outweighed by the revenue. They sell hops at a fraction of retail and have a pretty generous notion of a pound. I think that makes up for much of the limited supply or website issues, especially for the varieties they don't grow on site, like citra and amarillo. So even though I lost my amarillo after adding it to my cart I still send a big thanks to hops direct.

Oh and if you missed out on these I'm sure you'll find them at full retail eventually.

Nicely put - I'm just as excited as you that I can buy directly from a farm instead of little 1oz bags.

Best example that I recently bought is magic hats stout... just over hopped and bitter.. to make it worse they did it to a stout

EDIT (Replacing short rant on Magic Hat): I just checked BA, and the most likely brew you had was Heart of Darkness, which actually gets some pretty solid reviews. Its also listed as being at 30 IBUs. BJCP IBU guidelines for the style are 25-40. That is not an over hopped stout.

Cool - I guess you are a rare case in my evolution of a craft beer drinker thesis- enjoy!

Its just how I am with everything. I tend to go for extremes and purity of extremes.

I love extremely strong black coffee
Over the top IPA's
Imperial Stouts/Robust porters
Bordeaux style red blends, the bigger the better

With food, the same.

I will say, that crafting something balanced either assertive or mildy flavored is really difficult, and I do appreciate it and strive for it in my beers.

I will eat less assertive foods and drink less assertive beverages but they need to have striking balance and a je ne sais quoi that is seriously compelling.
To each their own, that is the nice thing about being the cook and/or brewer, you get to make what you like...or I guess you get to make what your S/O likes..lol

I think it's pretty crazy how it's become in the last couple years with those varieties... it is cool the farm does sell to us homebrewers though.

Xpertskir said:
Its just how I am with everything. I tend to go for extremes and purity of extremes.

I love extremely strong black coffee
Over the top IPA's
Imperial Stouts/Robust porters
Bordeaux style red blends, the bigger the better

With food, the same.

I will say, that crafting something balanced either assertive or mildy flavored is really difficult, and I do appreciate it and strive for it in my beers.

I will eat less assertive foods and drink less assertive beverages but they need to have striking balance and a je ne sais quoi that is seriously compelling.
To each their own, that is the nice thing about being the cook and/or brewer, you get to make what you like...or I guess you get to make what your S/O likes..lol

That's all good right there - whatever you like. I like balance in all things food and beer/wine

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice from HopsDirect? Usually I do but nothing yet I know they at probably busy.

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice from HopsDirect? Usually I do but nothing yet I know they at probably busy.

Nope, but mine shipped. Check your order status on their webpage and it should have your tracking number. Mine get here Saturday.:)

argh. I used paypal to pay for mine, apparently I didn't make an account so no tracking. TNGabe, what date did you place your order?

Is everything on there 2012 crop now? They don't say in the descriptions on the pellets - I need some Goldings

My order has shipped.. A Pound each of Citra, Amarillo, and Centennial.

Looks like it shipped on the 13th.. I won't have mine here until perhaps the 20th it seems. Just in time for thanksgiving weekend brewing!

argh. I used paypal to pay for mine, apparently I didn't make an account so no tracking. TNGabe, what date did you place your order?

Ordered on the 9th when they released the Citra.

I did the same-paypal,no account...Got an email with all info on Thurs.Shipped on Wed,package due to drive later today.

yes, thanks but it's coming to my business and I won't be there. I send them there so my packages don't "walk away" from my front porch.

Back