Bottle Storing Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I just moved a lot of my bottled beer to the garage sine the water heater room has been getting a little warmer. Is the garage too cold for beer to condition? I live in NJ so it is pretty chilly ( though this weekend it will be in the 70s!!). The temp out there this AM is 57F. Is this too chilly for the yesties to make my carbonation?

On a side note, I keep screwing up my starters. I am about to X the whole step from my brew process and go back to just dumping the swelled slap pack into the brew. Last night I thought I was being smart and put the starter in the garage. I don't think the yeast liked that very much. There was no activity this am. :mad: I brought them inside. Well see how they do in here. Brew day delayed yet again!

JillC25 said:
I just moved a lot of my bottled beer to the garage sine the water heater room has been getting a little warmer. Is the garage too cold for beer to condition? I live in NJ so it is pretty chilly ( though this weekend it will be in the 70s!!). The temp out there this AM is 57F. Is this too chilly for the yesties to make my carbonation?

Yes if you want to carbonate in just a few weeks. It will eventually get done though.

JillC25 said:
On a side note, I keep screwing up my starters. I am about to X the whole step from my brew process and go back to just dumping the swelled slap pack into the brew. Last night I thought I was being smart and put the starter in the garage. I don't think the yeast liked that very much. There was no activity this am. :mad: I brought them inside. Well see how they do in here. Brew day delayed yet again!

Sweetheart, I can't believe you're saying this after all the advice that's been given on this board concerning yeast starters. You're doing one, Great! The fact that you've made a mistake or two is no reason to quit. If you can't brew and culture a starter, you dang sure aren't going to be able to brew a full batch. The starter is just a micro batch. You're proofing your yeast as well as helping your batch with higher pitch rates.

So you're starter isn't doing so well, be glad that it isn't a whole batch that isn't going well.

I wasn't brewing when I lived in New Jersey, but I remember the winters! I even learned to drive in the slush and ice. 57F is ok for storage and just slows conditioning a bit, but unless there is some heat leakage into the garage, I'd be concerned about freezing later in the year.

I just proof the yeast, I don't do starters, except maybe for high gravity ales. Even then, I may just add an extra package of dry yeast to whatever I'm using for that batch. And I never hesitate to toss in another packet if I think the fermentation is stuck.

Maybe you could wrap insulation around the water heater & reduce the temperature in that room? Or keep the starter near the floor (but protected from beer drinking dogs).

Back