Labor Day = Brewing Day!! What you guys got planned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put the lid on my fermenter. Tried a variation of Scooby Brew's Darth Vader Black IPA. Had to use roasted barley instead of Carafa II - 12 oz instead of 1 lb. Definitely isn't as dark as I would have liked...but it's dark enough - and hopefully there are some pronounced roasted notes.

American Wheat in the fermenter, despite the intermittent downpours :)

Kegged 10 gallons of my haus wheat. Other than that.... clearing kegs, making empty bottles :drunk:

I'm done. 5 gallons of hoppy goodness is in the fermenter!!!!! How'd everyone else do?

I had my wort in the cornie primaries at around 1. Not bad for starting around 8:30 (milling grains and collecting water), having to double batch sparge (26 lbs of grain fills up my MLT quickly, not to mention my 5 gallon E-HLT is limiting), and splitting babysitting duty with the wife (niece was over for a lil while).

Primaries have been sitting outside with foil around the 'in' posts (secured with zipties), temps are about 110 right now. I added my 'flameout' hop additions when it was down to 140ish. RWS just started to show a krausen on the Bells yeast I harvested last week. I am really liking this no chill, takes so much work out of the brewday!

Never made it to the party since its been downpouring all day and they dont really have the type of house that everyone can pile into. So now I am putting a hurtin on the Blonde Ale on tap!

Revvy said:
I'm done. 5 gallons of hoppy goodness is in the fermenter!!!!! How'd everyone else do?

Had a little trouble with my sparge (8 pounds of pumpkins in my recipe), but I managed. After that things went smoothly.

During the mash I made pizza dough. Just finished eating the pizza now. I've been at it all day and I'm pooped. Time to relax....

Well, I had a rough brew day on Saturday (10 gal Octoberfest Ale). I was breaking in some new equipment and had some issues. Don't get me wrong, it still will make beer, but it sure won't be a repeatable recipe... I think I know the solution to the issues for next time, but it was more stressful than fun (new pump and new burner)

Missed the mash temp way high... hopefully compensated quick enough without too much over-compensation... Used a whole tank of propane for a single 10 gal batch... Probably had too little yeast due to a starter that didn't start very well and had to add another dose...

But it's fermenting very actively now so we'll see how it went in a couple months!

Jaz

Brewed a 5 gallon batch of chocolate Irish stout on Saturday. Racked 5 gallons of Octoberfest to secondary on Friday. Popped the first bottles of an American light ale this weekend also.

Wild fires (3), one 50' from the house, pi$$ed in my kettle this weekend.
"and on a lighter note of discovery" A corny filled with oxi-clean and water at 30psi will shoot quite a stream from a picnic tap and the ratio of 1 part water to 7 parts fire is true

Drinking Dog Fish Punkin Ale and just started the boil on a winter warmer that i plan to age for a couple months. Had to work today but i haven't brewed in a couple weeks and really wanted to get a brew in.

Wild fires (3), one 50' from the house, pi$$ed in my kettle this weekend.
"and on a lighter note of discovery" A corny filled with oxi-clean and water at 30psi will shoot quite a stream from a picnic tap and the ratio of 1 part water to 7 parts fire is true

WOW - fire extinguisher may be a new use for a corny!

Glad to hear everything is ok though...

Jaz

Brewed a goose island honkers ale clone today, n my dad did a cream ale.
Will be doing a octoberfest , pumpking ale, lemon corriander Weiss, and another purple haze clone ( since I went through a 5 gal batch in 9 days) in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks to the generosity of member kniles38, I was able to get a large supply of home grown hops. So, today changed from a brew day to a process part of the hops day. Here's the end result of 6+ hours, the cascade hops are in the bucket and being dried (from being on the vine). That's a 5 gallon container filled with cascade hops, and I estimate I am only 1/3 done (there are four other varieties, just not as much per variety as with the cascade). Wow.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

not quite as good, but i was given 5 nitro-packs sterling and 4 nitro-packs spalt yesterday. followed that up with brewing a belgian wit today (not with those hops) :D

Brewed a hefe and bottled 5 gallons of nut brown and pale (each). Pitched the hefeweizen on Sat, had a volcano going sunday, and it's done being active today ... :mug:

well monday brew day didnt work out but i did keg up 10 gals esb and 5 gals grand cru. Started at out 830 today with a brew buddy of mine and we did 10 gals of BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG) and 10 gals of left hand milk stout clone. All went really well. Had everything cleaned up and put away by 430.

I kegged a Dunkelweizen today and am brewing a modified OBC Milk Stout tomorrow. It'll be a test run for my Christmas brew. I went to do the starter today and got the DME and water mixed together and stove turned on before I realized that I hadn't taken the yeast out of the fridge and smacked it yet. I'll finish it up in a couple hours. Leaves me some time to drink beer and play Portal 2.

I was sabotaged by my own wife!! Could'nt brew cause the in-laws were coming over and was forced to work on our window trim (we have/had rotted window trim). :mad:
Mind you this was my second attempt to brew in the past month and both times was made to do other things to please SWMBO! Maybe I need an upgrade.

brewed an american pale ale from alt bev on sunday, still bubbling away nicely. also tapped my anniversary ipa from spring. need to get the pipeline built up.

Got the keggle built just in time for the trip to Rogue's hop yard. Ball valves and dip tubes from Bargain Fittings arrived just in time. USPS was a day late on my sight glass from Bobby. Got it installed and calibrated now, but sadly didn't get to brew with it.

Brewing at Chatoe Rogue was awesome. They dropped off newport and crystal bines for us to pick just as I finished sparging. None of us brought scales, so hops got measured by the gallon markers our picking buckets. Think I ended up using about 4 gallons of wet hops in my 5.5 gallon batch. The bines were decimated by the time I finished chilling, so I'm hoping one of my club members who didn't brew will have a few extra ounces for the dry hop. No matter how it turns out, this was easily the most fun I've had brewing a batch.

Revvy: there are a lot of better things to roll around naked on top of.

But I get it.

Now thats what I'm talking about!! That would be a Labor Day well spent if you still had time to brew a batch too! HA!

We got enough of a break in the rain to toss some burgers & hot dogs in the pit with some chunks of mesquite. Bark & all. Even made the hot dogs taste way better! Then placed sliced peperoni on top of the burgers,then topped with Swiss cheese & melted. Of course we also had cole slaw & ball park mustard to go on top of that. With a couple cases of good ales,1 mixed case being mine. Turned out pretty good.

Back