fermentation started again ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quizno

Reaction score
I started a batch of Brown ale 2 weeks ago and the fermentation stopped after about 5 days. Yesterday it started again. checked gravity and it was 1.013 I started it at 1.057. the temp in the room was about 72F with this heat wave it went up to 85. the wart was to active to do anything with. what should I do? and is this OK to let it run its coarse and bottle next week?

Thanks Quizno

Don'y count on the airlock as a fermentation gauge. It seems that at 5 days,the initial,vigorous part of fermentation was done. It would then start the long haul down to FG. So you're fine. Give it about a week to clean up it's by-products & settle out more. Check FG again at that point just to be sure. I'm in the habit of doing that. But 1.013 may be it with an OG of 1.057.

If you put 5 gal of tap water in a pail and stuck an airlock on top then increased the temp of the water from 72 to 85 the airlock would bubble. Plus fermented wort has some CO2 in solution, if the temp goes up some of it comes out of solution.

Back