Add in extras?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I'll be doing my first partial mash soon, and I was curious if I should worry about adding any water additives, or anything to help the mash?

I know very little about water chemistry. I have well water that was tested as being "hard," but beyond that, I don't know.

I know I shouldn't mess with the water too much when I don't know what's in it, but is there anything "basic" I could add that would help the mash?

Don't mess with your water until you go all-grain, unless you know what you are doing. The extracts already contain all the minerals the yeast need to be happy.

Don't mess with your water until you go all-grain, unless you know what you are doing. The extracts already contain all the minerals the yeast need to be happy.

Okay, but when I'm doing the partial mash, that'll be before any extract is added. But in general it should mash okay without worrying about adding anything to help it along?

Thanks!

Take a pH reading of your mash (cooled sample). If it's in the ballpark, which it probably will be, you're fine. If it's too high, I'd adjust with acid or acidulated malt instead of salts.

Back