BCS-462 Build Schematic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlisk

Reaction score
So after some research, I think I've decided I'm going to go the route of the BCS-462 over the standalone PID. I think the fact that it can control many different things in one interface will cut down on the amount of equipment and separate "operations" I have going on. Here's a draft schematic i put together. Does anyone see any glaring problems?

I'm hoping to eventually expand this unit to running my kegerator and fermentation chambers. It will be great to be able to monitor what's going on outside in my brewhaus, and not have to walk out there everyday just to check temps (because it's sure cold outside!!)

5350853362_2f553a29a1_b.jpg

What program did you use to create your diagram? I about to embark on a build, but am considering using both propane and electric. The weather is pretty moderate for the most part in North Texas, but there are times when I'd like to brew in the garage.

You might want to do a Manual/off/auto switch for the pump. Makes priming & clean up a lot easier.

@ranch - I actually wound up using powerpoint. I spent some time trying to find something better, but couldn't. Good luck with your build!

@samc - It's something I'm considering. with the web interface for the BCS i can tap a button to make the pump go on and off when i want it to, so it's like having a 2 position switch, but I don't know that I want a digital switch between me and the pump if something were to go wrong. It's also half the reason why i'm putting a switch on the elements (the other reason being i want to prevent turning both on at once)

I like the style you chose to diagram your plan. It makes a visual that is easy to follow. All of my diagrams are done in a similar way.

Good Job!

Just a quick note, most folks here use 40a SSR's, it's been said that they will last longer because of the lower heat generated vs the 25a versions. I found some Crydom D2440's on eBay for a great price that I picked up for my future build.

I just ordered some 25A SSRs with heatsinks...drats. Anyone know what the amps being pulled through each SSR might be for the configuration i put in the OP? Is it half of the total amperage being pulled by the element?

edit: or is it the same number of amps as the 4500W/240V = 18.75A

I just ordered some 25A SSRs with heatsinks...drats. Anyone know what the amps being pulled through each SSR might be for the configuration i put in the OP? Is it half of the total amperage being pulled by the element?

edit: or is it the same number of amps as the 4500W/240V = 18.75A
It will be 18.75A but don't worry about that. The 25A SSR can handle it without a problem as long as you provide a heat sink for it with decent air flow around the heat sink fins.

No sweat.

OK - great. I plan on using heatsinks on the SSRs controlling the elements and putting a muffin fan(s) on the control panel to regulate the heat.

I'm guessing no heatsink is required for my pump SSRs. I think the pump will pull about 4A at 30 watts (1/25 HP) with 120V.

On another note, does anyone know the difference between a T2 and T3 type thermistor? Grainger has a decent selection of inexpensive stainless thermistor probes with stainless compression fittings, but i'm hung up on the T2/T3 detail.

Here's a link: Thermistor Probes

On another note, does anyone know the difference between a T2 and T3 type thermistor? Grainger has a decent selection of inexpensive stainless thermistor probes with stainless compression fittings, but i'm hung up on the T2/T3 detail.

Here's a link: Thermistor Probes

These are the same company as BCS supplied thermistor, makes it less work as you don't have to deal with calibration issues.

http://www.controlstop.com/our-shop/details/72/360/temperature/te-series/pipe-immersion/te-703-a-x

That's true. I'll look on there to see if there's an all stainless configuration instead of what appears to be a brass compression fitting.

OK - great. I plan on using heatsinks on the SSRs controlling the elements and putting a muffin fan(s) on the control panel to regulate the heat.

I'm guessing no heatsink is required for my pump SSRs. I think the pump will pull about 4A at 30 watts (1/25 HP) with 120V.

When you mount the SSRs, if you put the heatsink on the outside of the box (SSR inside) there should be no need for a fan. If you mount the SSR and the heatsink inside the box, heat could build up over time.

RE: the pump - that is true. The SSR can handle that amount of power without additional cooling.

I'll have to look into how to mount the SSRs up with the heatsinks outside the box.

BCS-462 and a couple of probes are on order. First phase is to set up 2 stage temperature control for my kegerator via the compressor and a 60 watt bulb I have inside. Eventually once I get some more money and get the 240V circuit installed, the electric brewery and brewhaüs build will be underway.

Here's a couple mock-ups of the brewhaüs....

Basically going to be taking an unfinished bay of my barn/garage/workshop and finishing it. The main brewroom will be climate controlled to allow for winter brewing (and prevent freezing of equipment etc.). A fermentation chamber (on the right behind the door in the brew room) will also double as a work surface.

Inside the double doors, the black box and white box represent my kegerator and upright freezer. The freezer will supply glycol lines to the fermentation chamber.

5359500857_b4c7686658_z.jpg

without walls
5360113796_d1eeb60a43_b.jpg

Here's the barn, the door on the far right is what will enter into the area in the 3d drawing:
4632816936_1d6ccde896_z.jpg

I've seen quite a few used SSR on ebay-is a used SSR something that should be avoided or is it worth the gamble?

its up to you. i got 5 brand new ones with 4 new heatsinks for $90 shipped. i guess it depends on what you are running. I'd rather not have a failure occur during a brewday, because murphy's law always prevails...

My delivery of three used units of 45 amp SSR mounted four packs on heat sinks will be SSR numbers 49 to 60. The past 48 SSR's all work by the friends that purchased them before me then tipped me off to purchase three complete units. Future testing when delivered I have no worries. Brand new can fail also, all very rare occurrences.
.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&si=%2FJFzJDilu7QqIMbEcq79gWKzWFo%3D&viewitem

Well, made some more progress on the build. I'll consolidate my brew rig's progress to this thread too.

Here's the brew rig with the pump installed. It's a chugger pump that we bought from USApumps on ebay. I've never used any other pumps so i can't compare, but this thing works very well. It's also quieter than I expected. Despite the "rough" threads, my fittings went on and sealed just fine with teflon tape.

5367414022_6ff6395360.jpg

Also got a few 2 pole contactors that i'll be using in my control panel (2 for the 2 heating elements, and 1 for main power):

5367414156_b76993f11e.jpg

6 SSRs and 1 heatsink showed up today (i ordered 5 SSRs and 4 heatsinks. gotta love ebay).

Hopefully the BCS-462 shows up this week so i can get dual stage temp control going on it! (and the seller on ebay rectifies the situation with the missing heatsinks)

5367960829_413078604e.jpg

I like the style you chose to diagram your plan. It makes a visual that is easy to follow. All of my diagrams are done in a similar way.

Good Job!

Your diagram is what i started with! Thanks!

6 SSRs and 1 heatsink showed up today (i ordered 5 SSRs and 4 heatsinks. gotta love ebay).

Hopefully the BCS-462 shows up this week so i can get dual stage temp control going on it! (and the seller on ebay rectifies the situation with the missing heatsinks)

5367960829_413078604e.jpg

What did it cost for each SSR and heat sink? The wife tells me "EBAY IS EVIL" on the PayPal accounts.

Sounds like you have a great build starting.
I'll wait until I can dig up more material with adding a seperate flow and volume measurement system be it stand alone unless later added BCS features come available. Time is in my favor I can wait.

What did it cost for each SSR and heat sink?

Sounds like you have a good build starting.
I'll wait until I can dig up more material with adding a seperate flow and volume measurement system be it stand alone unless later added BCS features come available. Time is in my favor I can wait.

The SSRs were 10.25 each and the heatsinks were 11.00 each. This is the listing on eBay. You have to add each item to your order separately because for whatever odd reason you can't get the combination of the heatsink and the 25A AC SSR. The seller is in Michigan, so it was quicker shipping than other stuff I've gotten from China, and the SSRs are inexpensive. I just hope I get my other heatsinks from them. :drunk:

edit: And as far as eBay in general, I typically stay away from it, but lately it's been the best place to get the small parts I need. I haven't had too much trouble, but time will tell :D

The good thing is that site mentioned no heat sink required if below 10 amp SSR load, great for the 1.4 amp March pumps.
Without adding shipping your SSR's with heat sinks each cost 2.43 times more vs Spencer's Solid State units, just a heads up for anyone looking for 45 amp SSR's.

The wife sells small antique items at times, once a very old porcelain tea pot she overkilled in bubble wrap with mamy photos taken. You could of drop kicked it without breakage. Buyer sent photos of it as if it were hammered to death, Ebay did back us up on a false claim. BTW the buyer emailed she didn't like the color then filed a damage report.
We check sellers history and never been burned.
BTW my early reply above, today another shipment of four 45 amp SSR's mounted on a 8 3/4" x 3 1/8" x 1 1/4" deep heat sink at $34.99 each makes 60 for 60 SSR's that work. They were tested before being shipped.
Don Spencer added a bag of SS screws and washers to mount the heat sinks, rather nice of him.

Not a bad deal you got on those. I might check those out if I need more.

Just put in a few orders for more odds and ends. Will probably have (3) 3 pos maintained switches (NO-NC-NO) more than I need, since the place in china sold only a 4 pack. Also have the missing heatsinks on the way already, which is good, since I expected to have trouble with the seller.

Last couple things I ordered from China took 10 business days or less. OK for me since I won't have a power up date until March on the 220V parts of the control panel (the switch being part of that).

Dang that's rather quick, like you mentioned allowing you time to get your power squared away.
Don Spencer (Spencer's Solid State) mentioning these SSR's with heat sinks I ordered were flying out his doors way faster than he anticipated. I mark it up as the great price for a packaged deal. Check out his other items available.
Prost.

Well the BCS-462 arrived yesterday. I played around with it a bit and it seems great. I started to put together an enclosure for my kegerator tonight. Picked up a $16 box from home depot and a few other odds and ends. The upper plug will output to a lightbulb to provide heat in my kegerator (it's kept in my uninsulated barn) and the lower will output to the composer. The switch is for manual override over the SSRs. Two SSRs fit nicely inside.

5377018468_c4384ae863_d.jpg

5376416059_43b887594a_d.jpg

Here's a revised schematic, moving the SSRs for the heating element behind the contactor (as advised in another thread):

5379209538_fbed844aaf_b.jpg

I did the same thing. Got my first ones locally to try and save on shipping, but even then the BCS offered ones were cheaper.

I am going to do exactly what you are doing with your box for the fridge, except that I will be placing the SSR's in where the compressor wiring is. Only difference is I won't have a switch to override should I need it.

From my control box with the BCS-462 in it I will run a low voltage cable (like a 20GA security wire with 4 wires plus a ground) from that box to the fridge. Off the security wire I will run the input from my temp probe which will go back to the BCS control box, and two outputs for the two SSR's will come from the BCS box to signal either of the 2 SSR's (Heat/Cool). One SSR for the fridge compressor, the other to run the 40W lightbulb for cold weather. (My fridge is in my poorly insulated garage). I plan to run the temp probe and 40W light bulb wire through a small hole going down to the compressor area. Got a location picked out, just need to run it. Two-stage control here I come.

this diagram and project are exactly what i've been looking for. nicely done!

I never finished mine, but hope you have good luck in doing so!

Hadn't had the time. A few friends recently became quite interested and I've been helping them out, so I think it may come back to life eventually.

Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same!

Back