Scottish Heavy Walker's Gruagach 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if MJ Empire Ale yeast could work?
Description reads "suitable for heavy scottish ales" - tick
also "Ferments with full, rich dark fruit flavors." -- Not so sure about that for this recipe?

Hi

Thought I'd share my experience with this recipe so far

16 days ago this one went into the fermenter.
I followed the temp steps as per the receipe, and currently sitting on 21-22'C ish
Actually, scratch that, reviewing the recipe here, I see it's not what I've put into Beersmith! *hmm*
I did:
4 days at 13C/55F
7 days at 16C/60F
and after that kept it around 21C/70F
For the life of me I have no idea where that came from; must be something I found elsewhere that was used for this yeast...

Anyways!

The gravity currently sits on 1.028 (refractometer) which beersmith's correction puts at 1.014
That is pretty much at the figure the recipe states as target gravity.

I'm quite perplexed with this yeast ( I used WYEAST 1728 ) Its had a 100% consistent 1-bubble/sec through the airlock since the start. Not deviating once. I have temp control.

Reading what others experience with this yeast, I find that everyone says it's a fast and vigorous ferment.
Def not true here.

I'm not too worried, it tastes very interesting. First time I have a beer anywhere near this style.
I'll just wait patiently and see what it does.

Back