Transferring beer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
I just wanted to start out by saying thanks to everybody. You all are a wealth of knowledge and overall just a great bunch of peeps. :tank:

Well its been a week and i transferred my Oktoberfest to a secondary carboy. There was a about half a gallon of crude on the bottom (added Irish moss and forgot to strain before throwing in bucket) i used an auto siphon to do the transfer all started out well then about half way through I didn't realize that the tip of the hose came out of the beer and air backed up the tube. With one good pump i pushed a ton of air back into my secondary. How much air can i get away with out affecting my beer. It was a decent amount and made a loud glug noise. (probaly just have noob jitters)

Also is it worth it to invest in a couple of better bottles with the racking systems?

I have had similar things happen when transferring (few 'glugs' up from the bottom of the bottle), and I don't *think* any of my beers were negatively affected (i.e. no cardboard taste). I wouldn't spring for a ported BB myself, but then again, I just spent a bunch on an AG setup, so my funds are limited ATM.

However, I would recommend leaving the beer longer in the primary (unless you hit FG after 4 days and it was constant through the end of the week), as it'll help clean up more nasty's than when it's in the secondary.

Thanks. I learn something new ever time. I only checked the FG right before i racked it to a secondary. so i should be checking it everyday after the 4th day? It was brewed as an ale. I did note a strong alcohol taste when i drank the sample. The stick on thermometer read about 76 contantly. i'm wondering if it fermented a little too hot.

Thanks. I learn something new ever time. I only checked the FG right before i racked it to a secondary. so i should be checking it everyday after the 4th day? It was brewed as an ale. I did note a strong alcohol taste when i drank the sample. The stick on thermometer read about 76 contantly. i'm wondering if it fermented a little too hot.

From what I understand (keeping in mind that I'm still a noob), you shouldn't rack to secondary until the FG has been constant for ~3 days, indicating the yeasties are pretty much done with the bulk of their fermenting. So if you wanted to rack on day 7, it should be because the FG is the same as it was on day 4, and it should also be relatively close to the estimated FG you're hoping to get. I personally don't check my FG anymore until a couple weeks have passed, because a few extra days in the primary won't hurt (and might help) the beer.

And yes, 76 degrees from the temp stick might be a little too hot. My first couple brews were at that temp and they did have an alcohol twang. I try to keep the temp around 68 or lower in the beer, which ferments a few degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I wouldn't worry about it now that it's done, but maybe check out swamp coolers before the next batch (and keep the secondary in a cool, dry, dark place also).

lol, yeah its been a learning curve for sure. i thought i could get away with the basement because it stays around 72-76 degrees at all times. I figured it was under 80 so i was good. I'm gonna try keeping it in the bathtub next time. the water stays at a consistent 70 in the basement. swamp cooler is a no go, but i'm gonna look into getting a cheap used fridge.

hopefully the flavor will improve with time. lol, if your a noob then i haven't even got my noob title yet ;)

Back