First High grav brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
At my current disposal is the following:

(5 gallon batch)
1 lb. Choco. Malt
1 lb. Roasted Malt
.5 lb Cara Amber (2-row)
.5 lb 40L (6-row)
7.5 lbs Coopers Stout LME
3 lb Dark dry extract
1 lb. Brown Sugar

1 oz Tettnan.
1 oz Fuggle
1 oz Goldings
1 oz Mt. Hood
1 oz Perle
1 oz Northern Brewer

WLP001
US-05

I am a little concerned about the hop schedule as I have not worked with a few of these hop varieties.
Should the boil be at least 90 mins?

I don't have beersmith so could anyone run these numbers for a target OG?

This is getting brewed today or tomorrow. Any response or suggestions for a monster brew such as this would be helpful.

Thanks

The only real reason for a 90 min boil is if you are using a lot of pilsner base malt in your mash as the pilsner malt has more of the DMS precursors and creates more DMS to boil off.

You don't have any times in your hop schedule so I can't really comment.

according to Beer Calculus (free online beer recipe calculator) you are looking at 1.106 OG for that malt bill (note I subbed 7.5 lbs Dark LME for "7.5 lbs Coopers Stout LME")

Because you are using a pre formulated stout LME it is hard to say what grains/hops they used in making that extract since I haven't used it myself. So I have no real guess how it is going to turn out.

good luck.

The only real reason for a 90 min boil is if you are using a lot of pilsner base malt in your mash as the pilsner malt has more of the DMS precursors and creates more DMS to boil off.
On high gravity beers a longer boil can be used to reduce the volume. This is often used since efficiency suffers in high gravity situations and some additional sparging will help reclaim some of those sugars, which of course results in a high preboil volume.

Back