who wants to help me figure out my efficiency!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsy

Reaction score
so i brewed a stout today, my first all grain brew.i have an unorthodox set up, i only have a 5 gallon brew kettle and im using my primary as my MLT, which i built a false bottom into. i am reading "designing great beers" which lists efficiencies for different grains but the math makes my eyes cross (especially after a few homebrews) so i was hoping one of you computer savvy engineer types out there could plug some numbers into the ol' computron and tell me if i suck at mashing or not. so here goes...

8.5 lbs 2 row
.5 lb roasted barley
.25 special b
.25 carafa
.25 cara pils

started mash with 3.5 gals treatd h20. one for under the false bottom, and 2.5 for the mash. 1.25 qts/lb x 9lbs grain=11.25 qts or less than 3 gallons.

i did a weird step mash where i mashed in at 150 and let it chill for 30 minutes in which it drifted down to about 147, to let beta do its thing. than i added approx 1 gallon h20 at 170 to bring up to 155 and let chill for the next 30 mins. in that time it dropped to 150. added another .5 qallon at 170 to bring back up to 155 and let marinate for 15 mins. sparged with a mere 1.5 gals at 175. collected about 4 gals of runoff and started heating. collected another gallon of runoff in another pot and added to the brew kettle after the protein break craziness was over with. so 5 gallons of collected wort gave me a final 3.5 gallons which showed 1.068.

so besides being the lamest post ever, maybe someone out there is into figuring out complex mathematical type stuff. all i reall want to know is if this method acheived what i wanted it to, which was give each of the amylases a chance to do their thing making a balance of fermentabilty and sweetness.

any responses extremely appreciated,besides if youve made it this far in the post then heres to you!

i figured it out, 67% efficiency. i think this is due to my to my low volume of sparge water and over all wort collected.

Beersmith spits out 68.91%, pretty close to what you came up with.

Beersmith spits out 68.91%, pretty close to what you came up with.

thanks! so i didnt do as bad as i thought. especially since i was supposed to collect like 6 gallons of runoff or something and only collected 5 or so. anyways, thanks for plugging the #s into your computer for me!

Back