not fermenting out all the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjim74

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish Wee Heavy two weeks ago and added an extra pound of honey. OG was 1.095 and racked to the secondary after one week and the gravity was 1.044. Shouldn't my gravity be lower at this point. This would come out to about a 6.2% abv. Will it continue to ferment further in the secondary?

Did you use a special high alcohol yeast? Something like that may require a high alocohol tolerant yeast, and it will take weeks to ferment out, maybe a couple months?? That is a BIG beer

I used a Wyeast 1098. I was under the impression that would ferment out to 10 abv. Could it be stuck and if so can you unstick it?

Well, that is a high OG... that will probably take a month to ferment out. It should get it down to 1.025 and 9%

It's too late now, but for next time remember to not rack to secondary until the beer is finished fermenting.

Is the gravity still dropping? Have you checked it over several days?

+1 with a brew like that, or any brew... dont rack it off all that yeast until it is finished fermenting. It may be difficult to get it down to 1.025 now that it is in the secondary.

yes I checked today. It dropped from 1.044 to 1.042. What will the end result be that I racked too soon? Do you think it will continue to drop?

It should, it will take longer I presume. With a big beer like that, Id shove it in a closet and forget about it for a few weeks, then come back to it.

Maybe. You removed most of the yeast when you racked, so you set it back a bit. Leave it alone and check it in 3-4 days and see if it's still dropping. If it is, that's good news.

So your saying a gotta chance...thanks for the info guys. Can I add some dry yeast to it in the secondary?

So your saying a gotta chance...thanks for the info guys. Can I add some dry yeast to it in the secondary?

You know that's my favorite line from Dumb and Dumber? Thanks for making me laugh tonight!

You can add yeast, but wait a bit. The yeast you have may not be done yet, and sometimes adding yeast when you already have a fairly high ABV is tricky. Wait until the SG doesn't move any more, over several days, then we'll brainstorm up some things to do.

Latest posts

Back