First attempt at an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
So i'm super new (first batch still fermenting but i'm tasting this weekend :)) but i'm addicted so I want to brew this weekend again with my friend. I'm looking at attempting a citrus ipa that uses an extract. I'm definitely going to move this to a secondary and then Dry Hop. Here's the link to the IPA i was going to try

http://hopville.com/recipe/41326

Any tips/suggestions would be fantastic.

The recipe seems pretty solid.

Personally I would use at least 2oz of dry hop with Cascades to really make the hop aroma pop. Cascades are citrusy hops so they should go well with orange zest.

If that is fresh orange zest that's fine but if that is dried orange peel, 1oz is WAY too much. Dried orange peel is super potent. I use 1/3 oz in my wheat and it's plenty citrusy.

If you zest your own orange peel try not to get the white part, only the outer 1/16" of orange outer peel. The white part is super bitter.

+1 on using 2 ounces of cascade for dry hop. I always use 2 ounces of hops when I dry hop an IPA.

The recipe seems pretty solid.

Personally I would use at least 2oz of dry hop with Cascades to really make the hop aroma pop. Cascades are citrusy hops so they should go well with orange zest.

If that is fresh orange zest that's fine but if that is dried orange peel, 1oz is WAY too much. Dried orange peel is super potent. I use 1/3 oz in my wheat and it's plenty citrusy.

If you zest your own orange peel try not to get the white part, only the outer 1/16" of orange outer peel. The white part is super bitter.

Thanks so much. I think i'll zest the orange myself. Totally jealous of the beers you got working and drinking......very nice!

I have been looking for a citrus IPA, this looks like the ticket. Definitely going to dry hop with 2oz cascade.

Are you sure you want 8 oz crystal 120L and 4 oz crystal 40L?
I'd use 8 oz crystal 40L and 4 oz crystal 120L if I wanted a darker color.

-a.

Are you sure you want 8 oz crystal 120L and 4 oz crystal 40L?
I'd use 8 oz crystal 40L and 4 oz crystal 120L if I wanted a darker color.

-a.

Thanks, definitely going for a lighter color on this one I think. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. Can't start until around 3pm today

crazy day yesterday with a bundle of errors, but in the end got a really nice color and the smell was awesome. Thanks for the advice.

So i moved this over to secondary yesterday and dry hopped it as well. Got a chance to sample it and it was really good. It's going to sit in secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle for 2-3.....

A two week dry hop could be too long and start to give off grassy flavors. I personally have never gone past ten days so I can't speak from experience but have read it here many times.

The most I've dry hopped is 7 days. The new IPA book by Mitch Steele suggests that maximum dry hopping is achieved between 3-5 days.

Edit: I recently dry hopped a pale ale with 2 oz cascade for 5 days and the aroma was incredible!

i only dry hopped 1 oz for 5 gal batch. I'm away Wed-Sunday so maybe i'll pull it before i leave or when i get back sunday.....

Back