Columbia, SC - Any Green Flash Beers There?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I will be in Columbia, SC this weekend. Any place to get Green Flash beers there? I see on the Green Flash site that they are now distributed by Advintage Distributing in Charleston. Thanks.

Any other beer related places to check out? We normally hit The Liberty Tap Room at least twice. They seem to always have a decent tap list.

Mellow Mushroom might, (1009 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC) they usually have a very good selection. They also have a location in Florence just off 95.

Also while in Columbia check out Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Ale House
900 Main St
Columbia, SC 29201

Thought it was pretty good Liberty ships their beer from the Broadway at the Beach beach location to Columbia.

I checked with Liberty Tap Room, Mellow Mushroom, Total Wine and Green's. No luck so far but thanks for the suggestion.

I live in Columbia currently. World of Beer and Flying Saucer both have Green Flash, just added it recently. WOB had the Tripel, IPA, Pale Ale, and Le Freak but ran out of Le Freak, not sure if it is getting refilled. I would call and check, Flying Saucer has a ton of beer and good food, world of beer does too but it's more expensive.

Hunter Gatherer is also very good for both beer and food. They have an ESB, wheat, pale ale and a seasonal which is a black patent ale.

Definitely hit up HG and Flying Saucer for food and beers, then walk to WOB since it is close to Flying Saucer.

Edit: Those were drafts but World of Beer might have bottles as well, I would call and ask.

I live in Columbia currently. World of Beer and Flying Saucer both have Green Flash, just added it recently. WOB had the Tripel, IPA, Pale Ale, and Le Freak but ran out of Le Freak, not sure if it is getting refilled. I would call and check, Flying Saucer has a ton of beer and good food, world of beer does too but it's more expensive.

Hunter Gatherer is also very good for both beer and food. They have an ESB, wheat, pale ale and a seasonal which is a black patent ale.

Definitely hit up HG and Flying Saucer for food and beers, then walk to WOB since it is close to Flying Saucer.

Edit: Those were drafts but World of Beer might have bottles as well, I would call and ask.

Thanks Henry. I will check out those two places.

Is there any place to buy bottles?

TRainH2o said:
Thanks Henry. I will check out those two places.

Is there any place to buy bottles?

If WOB doesn't have it, I would try Total Wine and more, they might have it.

World of Beer and Flying Saucer both have Green Flash.

I called Total Wine and Greens and they both say they don't have Green Flash. Bet-Mar looks like a home brew shop. Do they sell beer too?

Craft brew selection in Columbia is pretty weak. I dont know if thats the stores or because the majority of craft brew is made out west and is just starting to expand into the south. Either way I am usually disappointed when I walk into Green's.

The "Green's" on Piney Grove Road has a much better selection of beer than the one on Assembly St...and there is at least one guy in there (I think he is the manager) who knows beer and can answer questions.

The "Green's" on Piney Grove Road has a much better selection of beer than the one on Assembly St...and there is at least one guy in there (I think he is the manager) who knows beer and can answer questions.

Thanks, Ill have to check that out.

Greens on piney grove has Green Flash, just came back with Rayon Vert and Le Freak. Also had hop head red, west coast ipa and imperial ipa. Prices seemed expensive to me, oh well!

World of Beer and Flying Saucer both have Green Flash.

I called Total Wine and Greens and they both say they don't have Green Flash. Bet-Mar looks like a home brew shop. Do they sell beer too?

Oops, sorry. When you said you were looking for bottles I just assumed empty bottles. My mistake. Like Misplaced Canuck said, they just sell homebrew supplies.

Well, I found the IPA and Hop Head Red for sale at Greens. My wife fell in love with the Barley Wine and I can not find it anywhere.

Not the cheapest beer, especially they come in four packs. But they are really, really good. Time to find a clone recipe.

I have never heard of the brand, but I will definitely be looking for the barleywine and may perhaps try one or two of the other styles.

I have never heard of the brand, but I will definitely be looking for the barleywine and may perhaps try one or two of the other styles.

Its a brewery out of San Diego. Rayon Vert, their Belgian Pale Ale is great. The trippel and west coast ipa are also solid.

Its a brewery out of San Diego. Rayon Vert, their Belgian Pale Ale is great. The trippel and west coast ipa are also solid.

We were staying in Downtown so we went to the Assembly Street store. We didn't try the Belgian Pale Ale or the Tripple.

I was really impressed with the Hop Head Red, aka Red IPA, and the Barley Wine. I would say it was the best Barley Wine I have ever tried. I wasn't too impressed with the Fizzy Yellow Beer but the IPA was good. We went to the Flying Saucer twice, just for the beer. The food was OK.

Back home now and just cracked open a Hop Head Red. This beer is WAY good !!! They need to distribute to Georgia.

TRainH2o said:
We were staying in Downtown so we went to the Assembly Street store. We didn't try the Belgian Pale Ale or the Tripple.

I was really impressed with the Hop Head Red, aka Red IPA, and the Barley Wine. I would say it was the best Barley Wine I have ever tried. I wasn't too impressed with the Fizzy Yellow Beer but the IPA was good. We went to the Flying Saucer twice, just for the beer. The food was OK.

I'll have to try the Hop Head Red, my brother said it was quite good as well. Did greens have their barley wine or any of their beers for that matter?

Flying Saucer food is pretty decent but I'm not impressed with the service and their beers are expensive.

The one on Assembly had Hop Head Read and West Coast IPA in 4-pack bottles. They had 16oz Tripple and maybe the Belgian IPA. No one in the area had the Barley Wine period, except Flying Saucer. I found their beer prices fairly typical, at least what I see in the Atlanta area.

The person I spoke with at Total Wine knew about Green Flash and thought they should have their beers some time next month.

I picked up a 4 pack of the West Coast IPA and Hop Head Red on Friday. Both are decent beers and I would probably get them again, but I wasn't impressed with the hop aroma or flavor (probably due to me drinking homebrewed IPAs less than a month grain to glass). I wonder if it just takes too damn long for them to get the beer from San Diego to the shelf in Nashville. That being said I'm gonna go back and grab their other offerings at some point in the near future.

I bought a case of Hop Head Red. It had a "Bottled on Dec. 06, 2011" stamp on the box. It's still pretty hoppy. Green Flash lists the Red as 70 IBUs and I think it's pretty close. I think the thing about IPAs that we, home brewers, make is just what you mentioned. Super fresh hop aroma and taste.

That and we tend to go a bit crazy at times. I did one with a calculated 103 IBUs. It was pretty much in your face but still very drinkable. I won my local brew club's IPA competition with that beer.

Back