Immersion chiller- space between coils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diS

Reaction score
I search trough forum but I didnt find answer for my question:
What space between coils is most efficient?

I made IC and put 1/2" of space (wired it with copper wire) for better liquid exchange, but it seems little too big now.. I already cut copper (30 feet) but I can join it again and get 1-2 more coils if that is necessary..

Did you make any space between coils and how wide it is?

Mine, and most others out there, are stacked against each other. If you wanted some space, I'd measure the total height (or depth) of your normal batch in your pot vs. the chiller and space accordingly. I have a feeling that there are diminishing returns once you hit a certain gap size.

Well if you used soft copper its easy to change but to me it makes sense for the coils to reach the top. If you can stack them and reach the top of the wort then that would be fine, the more contact area the better right? I have to spread mine maybe 3/4 an inch.

I would agree that 3/4" of space between coils is about right. Also the more surface area the better the exchange of heat/cold. I have Blichmann Boilmaker pots and I made my own soft copper chillers. 9" diameter to clear my thermometer and roughly 15" high and 3/8" copper. Remember there is no substitution for square inches ;-)

It reaches almost top of the pot (wort doesn't reach upper part anyway so that is unnecessary copper loss IMO).
Thanks guys, that is what bothered me.
However, I"ll test it before 1st usage and see how effective it is.

Back