beer gun to bottle, can the bottle get warm then cold again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
So i force carb with the set it and forget it technique then use my beer gun to bottle.

So obviously my beer is cold when i bottle it. If i were to give a few bottles to friends, can the beer get warm then cold again without affecting the flavors?

Thanks

In general yes. The most important thing to worry about is sanitation and contact with Oxygen. Of course you will want to be absolutely perfect regarding sanitation. And limit the exposure to Oxygen (air) as much as possible. Maybe purge the bottle swith some CO2 before filling if you can. Make a little foam so that it pushes all the air out of the bottle before you cap it (cap on foam).

And temperature can affect the lifespan of beer. The warmer the temp, the faster it will age. Most beers are best drank within a certain time span. Keeping it chilled will help it reach it's maximum age safely. Storing warm will make it go stale faster.

But we are talking months and years on a properly handled bottle of beer.

So frankly I would not worry about the temps if they are going to drink in a few months.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Im anal when it comes to cleaning and the beer gun has a purge on it so i should be good there.

Im thinking a few days or a week or so.

+1 to what Homer said -

When I fill a bottle, I put a cap in the capper, the capper on the bottle, and thump the bottle on the table to make it foam. When the foam (Which is all CO2 coming out of solution) hits the cap it has pushed all of the oxygen out.

I've had bottles filled this way after 4 months and they were better than the day I bottled them off the cold, carbed keg.

No need to smack, talk dirty to, or anything else when bottling with the beer gun. Purge, Fill, Purge. There you have it.

I've got bigger beers that have been aging in bottles filled this way that are well over 18 months old.

No need to smack, talk dirty to, or anything else when bottling with the beer gun. Purge, Fill, Purge. There you have it.

I've got bigger beers that have been aging in bottles filled this way that are well over 18 months old.

You take all the fun out of it!

It's true - A beer gun, MBMF, or any other manifestation of a CO2 purge/fill/purge device will work quite well.

Unfortunately they all come with a price tag... My counter top is paid for ;)

Does the 10 seconds the beer get to have relations with a couple square inches of air in an empty bottle filled from the bottom really have a chance of causing premature... Spoilage?

Oh nevermind.

Back