My Pol-Inspired HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSkies

Reaction score
Hey fellas-

I've had some time off from work lately, so my latest project/obsession has been building a HERMS rig. I've been poring over pages and pages of HERMS build threads (thanks Pol, your rig kicks ass and all your posts have answered many of my theoretical and practical questions).

Essentially, it's The Pol's system, pre-240V (once again, props dude). I'm moving to Charleston in the near future and don't want to mess with running 240....yet :) I’ve decided to complicate a few things, however, just because it’s fun to design this kind of thing…

-Control box in between the two coolers houses switches that will control power to receptacles that will power heating element, HLT stirrer, and pump.
-I designed it to also be a storage type deal, so when not in use I can put my propane tank and burner on the lower shelf, keeping the garage clean(er) and SWMBO happy
-Wandering around Harbor Freight, I found the wall-mounted bottle opener for 3 bucks. Too good to pass up.

I finally feel confident enough with my progress to show off my shoddy worksmanship and post some pics:

IMG_02453.JPG

I found sweet two-LED switches at Radio Shack that are red when off, green when on. Eventually, I’ll also put a Love controller in there. Yeah, I’m making more work for myself, but once again, it’s fun.

All off:

IMG_0253.JPG

And all on...sweeeet....

IMG_02541.JPG

And the business end:

IMG_02512.JPG

Prior to this, I've had absolutely no experience working with wood or electrical, so it's been quite the learning experience trying to figure out how all this stuff works. Thanks for everyone's posts in the past, there's absolutely no way I could have made it as far as I have without learning from everyone else's projects!

Looking good. I think your brewstand looks nice and very stable and I love those LED enhanced switches.

Back