IPA needs Secondary, but so much krauzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in primary right now, and I need to rack it to secondary because I want to let it sit on some oak chips for a while. I've only ever used a secondary on one other brew before, and by then all the krauzen had died down. So should I:

1. Wait for the krauzen to die down, then rack to secondary. It's been in the primary since 07 February, so a little over a week now.

2. Forget secondary. Just sanatize the oak chips, then dump 'em right in there. I'd prefer not to do this, because I want it to come out really clear. However, if this is the general consensus, I'll go for it.

3. Just rack it now. That krauzen isn't going anywhere, so just be careful with the syphon and try not to clog it up while you're racking.

I swear, this is why they make opaque fermenting buckets... so we'll stop looking at our beer. :eek:

You should wait, and you should also check your calendar. 07 November is much more than 1 week ago.

Let it sit for a total of 2-3 weeks in primary, then rack it onto the oak and any dry hops.

Back