Unfiltered juice rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Just did a few 1 gallon batches using brands like "Mott's Natural, Simply Apple". While you don't get the nice clearing up with the clear apple juice brands used in the Apfelwein recipe, these things are definitely worth trying out (albeit a bit more expensive, $6/gallon+). The flavor is outstanding, I'm thinking of doing a batch of Apfelwein with the unfiltered stuff. :rockin:

I used that with an ale yeast and some local honey to make a batch of cider. It came out great, but yes, it was cloudy and there was sediment in my bottles.

The taste is amazing though. It's a nice sour apple bit with some mead flavors, I like it a lot.

My GF had juice on her list and came back from the Piggly Wiggly with 6 half-gallon bottles of 100% juice and 2 gallon jugs of cloudy cider, which was all that they had.

My first batch is still at 3 wks in the primary. I've been tracking the events of the process, such as clearing, to compare with subsequent batches.

I can see that the cloudiness of a cider/juice mix will be a stick in the spokes of my little project.

I'm still a tyro at all of this.

Should I just set the cider back, and use it later when I ready to start tracking the stats on cider.

Or, is there some easy way to filter the murk out of the cider before using it.

Pogo

Or, is there some easy way to filter the murk out of the cider before using it.

for choices on before, how about pectin enzyme? just put it in the jugs and let it sit as per instructions. I usually use a pulp straining bag from LHBS which works great for fresh juice or unfiltered juice. What I do is strain, add pectin, ferment, then if it won't clear by itself use gelatin finings, works every time.

Back